Automate status update cloned issue

Dorothy Callahan September 13, 2022

Good morning,

I want to automate the status of the cloned issue to done.  When we have an issue that is still in development at the end of sprint, we clone the issue, update the story points spent and update status of the cloned issue to done.  I've attempted to create automation that updates status to "done" when linked issue is link type "is cloned by" but unsuccessful.  I've also tried to create automation when issue created summary "starts with" CLONE however that has not worked either.

Thanks

3 answers

1 vote
Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2022

@Dorothy Callahan

The following automation should work for you:

clone.png

Make sure you have the correct projects selected if the cloned issues exist in a different project than the original.

Also note that if a ticket is reopened after a resolution is added this would break the synchronisation. To avoid this add the following to your rule:

synchronisation.png

The rule should include all resolution statuses are set up for your Jira instance

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any issues.

Kind regards,
Patrik

BenWade April 25, 2024

Thank you @Patrik Korovsky 

But I do not understand this part:

'Also note that if a ticket is reopened after a resolution is added this would break the synchronisation. To avoid this add the following to your rule:'

I have post functions configured on the status 'Done,' meaning if the status is set to 'Done,' then the status resolution should be set to 'Done.' I tested your flow, and it works like a charm. I was switching statuses back and forth and have not encountered any problems.

1 vote
Julien Peyrade _ Elements
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 13, 2022

Hello @Dorothy Callahan 

If you don't mind testing an add-on, Elements Copy & Sync lets you do exactly that.

Full disclosure, I'm the Product Manager of the app.

With our app, you will be able to clone the issue at the end of your sprint (with all the information you could need, fields, attachments, comments... all optional), and also automate the status of your initial issue to "Done" thanks to our Workflow synchronization feature.

Your workflow sync will simply have to be set up this way : 

workflow.png

(Don't forget to enable the "Apply sync on issue creation" option.)

The app is free for 30 days, (and stays free if your instance is under 10 users), so feel free to give it a try, and don't hesitate to tell reach our Support if you have any question.

Kind regards,

Julien

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2022

Hi Dorothy,

Can you share the Automation rule that you have so far? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events