Are tasks useful or can be used in a SCRUM project ?

Lydie_H October 30, 2020

I am admin for the first time.

My team and I use the SCRUM method, and I don't understand if we can or cannot use tasks (i mean tickets with issuetype = task). We;

• cannot can see them to backlog and sprint backlog
  • can fill the "sprint" field
  • cannot add some story points

Sorry, I am confused and found nothing about it. Are we supposed not to use tasks for a scrum project ?

Thanks a ot for your help

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2020

Hello Lydie.

You can use all the Issue type you want for a scrum project. I think your board or project might not be configured properly, but you should be able to use epic/Story/Tasks/Bug indistinctly in your backlog or Kanban.

First question : can you create a task in your project ? Do you have a message indicating your issue will not bi visible in the backlog ?

Second question : does this task appear in your backlog ? If not, there must be some changes to do in your Board settings (... on the top right hand corner/board settings/ General or Column tabs). You can send us screenshots if your task don't appear on the BL.

Let us know if it helped you ;)

Lydie_H October 30, 2020

Hi, thanks for your help !

1.  Yes, I can create tasks and even fill the "sprint" field. But I have message roughy translating from French to English "your XXX ticket is created but not visible" ... I must admit I don't understand the meaning  of this warning.
  2. No, I can't see them in the Backlog page, even when a task has a sprint. I'll have a look in the settings :)

i'll try to modify the settings, if I don't succeed, I'll tell you :)

Lydie_H October 30, 2020

Nevermind, I find here how to display the tasks.

Like Flavien Gache likes this
Lydie_H October 30, 2020

And here I found how to add storypoints to every type of tickets. thanks for everything !

Like Flavien Gache likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2020

Be careful with that.

If you are going to do Scrum and look at velocity and burndown type stuff, you must understand that you only put Scrum estimates on items you commit to doing in a sprint.  You do not put estimates on sub-tasks.  If you do that, you will make a nonsense of your reporting.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 30, 2020
Lydie_H October 30, 2020

Thanks ! These pages were very instructive :)

1 vote
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 30, 2020

Hi @Lydie_H 

Welcome to the community!

You should be able to add 'story points' to your tasks screens and do estimations on them.

The task type can be technically made to work like stories in the scrum project. But it is about how the team chooses to use it

Lydie_H October 30, 2020

Understood !

Well, My team prefer to use tasks for work that concerns internal improvement (new tools ,CI, etc)

I'll try to change my project settings.

Suggest an answer