What is the difference between a story and a task

I use a Kanban board and for the issues that I have been creating, i have been assigning my issues to be tasks, but am now questioning whether or not I should be making them stories instead.

So my question is, what is the actual difference between a task and a story? Is there any real benefit of using one over the other?

2 answers

1 accepted

At risk of stating the obvious the difference between a task and a story is whatever you determine the two issuetypes to be used for. 

Having said that there are some common examples of differences that can help you phrase the decision.

A story is often written using a standard format such as "As a <role>, I want <feature> so that <reason>."

with possible expansion then beyond the simple statement.

Whereas a task might be something more along the lines of "Undertake review of CI build agent usage". 

The benefit of having the different issue types allows you to handle the expected workflow in different ways. The split between story and task can go further for example you could have different issue types to distinguish items that are related to technical debt, potential change requests, performance testing, etc. etc. It all depends on how you want to handle the workflow and describe the activity.

I suppose my issue was relating more towards what is commonly used by others since the issue types are in fact, mostly arbitrary. 

As you note, in JIRA the difference is only what you say it is...

That being said, what distinguishes a Task from anything else in our shop is that there is no QA, UAT, or release steps required and actual deliverable(s) are optional.

So.... It is Created, To Do, In progress, Done. Simple work flow, No QA, Deliverable(s) optional.

Hope that helps.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

73 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you