Any suggestions for Workflow validation or Custom Field for a company-managed kanban board?

Michelle Yip May 9, 2023

Hi Atlassian online community!

I'll appreciate any help I can get, looking for suggestions to refine my current workflow in a company-managed kanban board. I'm trying to see if there's a way to automatically bring a ticket that's created as To-Do, to In Progress so that it appears in the active board. My use case around this is to bring visibility to critical bugs detected quickly in the active board, so there's no need to dig through the board to find the ticket and bring it up. 

Transition.PNG

Also, welcome any suggestions on how I can better refine a Custom Field that I've set up, I am lacking the knowledge to setup the validations for this field to actually work. 

Custom Field.PNG

3 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2023

Hello @Michelle Yip 

Are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? That information will display at the bottom of the navigation panel on the left.

Are you working with a Scrum Board or a Kanban board?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2023

I missed that you said in your original post that it was a Company Managed Kanban board. That is what I get for multi-tasking.

However, looking at the images you pasted, those images appear to be from a Team Managed project, not a Company Managed project.

Can you confirm what you see at the bottom of the navigation panel on the left when you are viewing this project? Does it say team-managed or company-managed?

If it is actually a Team Managed project Kanban board, then it is not currently possible to move an issue from the Backlog to the Board. You can vote on the change request for that here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21481

Like # people like this
Michelle Yip May 9, 2023

Ah, my bad! I'm using a Team-managed project Kanban board. 

I've voted for the change request, seems like there's a true solid use case around this - fingers crossed it gets picked up eventually. 

Thank you for the help anyway, @Trudy Claspill !

0 votes
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2023

Hi @Michelle Yip here's an outline of a Jira Automation rule to do something like this, HTH:

2023-05-09_17h22_13.png

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2023

Well, the good news is that the above rule can successfully transition an issue to "In Progress" in a team-managed project. :-) The bad news is that this "In Progress" issue stays in the backlog and doesn't show up in the "In Progress" column on the board. :-(

Like Michelle Yip likes this
Michelle Yip May 9, 2023

Hi @Kelly Arrey !
Thanks for pointing these tips out to me. I've tried out the suggestion, and it does partially fit in with my use case, although an extra step for moving the issue to the board is still needed. I'll keep exploring with what's possible - appreciate your inputs :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events