• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

auto move from backlog to a board column

hi community

how can i  move automatically a task containing a label from the backlog to a specific board column?

regards

DM

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hey Danijel,

thanks for your message. 

Mohammed is quite right as above. Any of those apps should do the job for you. 

From the perspective of Automation for Jira - the rule would look like this:

*When Issue Transitioned to 'In Progress'

*Issue Condition: If label contains 'XYZ'

*Transition the issue to 'Status ABC'

Automation rules - Jira 2019-10-28 08-31-29.png

Keep in mind, depending on how your board looks, you might need to add more 'Transition actions'.

So for example:

Transition the issue from 'In Progress' to 'Review'

Transition the issue from 'Review' to 'Done' 

and so on. 

Hope that helps!

John

Hi John

Thank you for your example. It works very well when I create an issue on the board. If I plan an issue in the backlog and assign it to a teammate then I always have to manually move it to the board "move to baord". Can I also move it with Automation for jira as soon as it is assigned to a team member? or is that not possible because the backlog is only for planning purposes?

2019-10-28 08_48_12- JIRA.jpg

Like John McKiernan likes this

Hey Danijel,

glad that helps.

Your second use case is definitely possible also. There aren't many restrictions to what you can do. 

What you would need to do is create a rule that looks like this:

*Issue Created Trigger

*If Status equals Backlog

*And assignee is "bob"

*Then transition the issue to XYZ

Automation rules - Jira 2019-10-29 08-29-18.png

Hope that helps!

John 

@John McKiernan Is there a way to do this with the Kanplan Backlog?

When I try to create an automation there is no way for me to determine Status: Backlog -- it only shows me Statuses from my Board, the Backlog is excluded. Seems like the Kanplan Backlog status is invisible to automation. Would be really helpful to have this functionality. 

Like # people like this

I have the same issue. There is no way to set the statuses "in backlog" vs "on board".

The existing statuses also don't have any impact on whether an issue appears on the board or stays only in the backlog. An issue can be "in progress" while still being in the backlog.

This is wrong but there is no way to stop it.

Like # people like this

Hi @brian_ross

@Ronny Rentner 

Apologies I missed your initial message. Are you using next-gen projects? If so, unfortunately automation and next-gen do not work perfectly together right now. Should be fixed up in the next couple months. 

Let me know if not. 

Cheers

John

Like # people like this

Its definitely a gap at the moment. Ideally I'd like to be able to set in automation rules if the card appears in a Board or in Backlog. That way I could customise with rules that if status of todo is set and Assigned, then automatically move to display on the board. If Done and resolved for over a week, remove from Board. I'm trying to set up a project right now, and this is starting to annoy me enough to go back to a classic project. 

@John McKiernan are there any news on this?

I would also love to automatically move an issue to the board from a kanban backlog when certain things happen.

Thank you

Hey @Andreas Kleiber ,

Unfortunately we don't support this because essentially a board is tied to a sprint, but a kanplan board has the sprints feature disabled. We do have an issue tracking this: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-2037

Hello @John McKiernan  is there any progress of this issue? I'm still having a problem to automatically move issue from backlog to board (nextgen kanban board)

I would also like to know if there is any progress on this issue. 

1 vote
Mohammed Amine Community Leader Oct 26, 2019

You have to use an app. The idea is the following : 

• Listen to the event/transition of the task going to the backlog
  • Then trigger an action based on the value of the label. 

Among a lot of plugins able to do what you want, you can find : 

• Automation for jira (using the intuitive, with no code, UI. You can listen to the "Transition event" and then test in JQL that the label fits the value you want and if it is the case trigger the transition to the target status/colum)
  • Script Runner for Jira (using a post-fonction or a listener or even both)
  • SIL Power Script (using a post-fonction or a listener)
  • Jira Suite Utilities (using a post-fonction)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Bitbucket Smart Commits vs. Genius Commits - What's the difference?

If you already heard about Smart Commits in Bitbucket, know that you just stumbled upon something even better (and smarter!): Genius Commits by Better DevOps Automation for Jira Data Center (+ Server...

130 views 0 2
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you