Adding new customfield with default value to running jira project

Tobias March 28, 2023

Hello together, 

I am currently checking a problem with implementing a new field. I added a new field "challenge" where i want to build up a dummy table via wiki-markup renderer and also set the renderer in the field configuration scheme. So I set the field value and the preview also showed the correct format. 

I added the field to an transition screen, but the default value will not be displayed. 

So my testing result was that the fields default value will only be display on the create screen. When i leave it away from the create screen it'll be displayed on the view screen with the default value. 

Is it necessary to add the default field value to the existing issues manually to reference it when triggering the transition? 

Best 

Tobias 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Juan Carlos Vera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2023

Hi @Tobias ,

If you modify or add a custom field with a default value , the new default value will only apply to new issues created after the modification/creation. Existing issues will not be updated with the new default value automatically.

If you want to update existing issues with the new default value, you can use Jira's bulk edit feature to update the field value for multiple issues at once.

Tobias March 28, 2023

@Juan Carlos Vera thx for your reply, that confirms my assumption. 

Suggest an answer