Next-gen projects "Features" project setting

402 comments

Maria Hernández March 13, 2019

Good notice. 

Neillada Keongamaroon March 17, 2019

I couldn't find the way to create components on this next-gen project. Do you have any suggestion? 

Like Tex Rickard likes this
François Vermeil March 18, 2019

Hello,

Any update about subtasks ? 

Like # people like this
Dan H March 20, 2019

Where on earth has the Epics and Versions panel view gone, in order to drag tickets straight into these??

A new project team are trying to get to this but are struggling massively right now

EpicsPanel.jpg

Like # people like this
Ronald Vallenduuk March 21, 2019

All part of "Helping you get more done" I guess...

Next-gen projects are incomplete. It's a work in progress. My advice is to stay away from Atlassians public UAT testing and keep using proper projects until they force you to change.

Same for the 'new and improved' issue view that's still lacking features and slowing me down.

Dallin Fish March 21, 2019

Will work log be added at any point? I'd like to be able track time against stories, and sub-tasks.

Also will there be support for using the next-gen in a support desk environment? 

Paul Olivier Joseph March 25, 2019

I am not able to create subtasks in a story. The button is not available. Can you tell me how to do it?

Patrick Aalders March 28, 2019

What I wonder after checking out this new way of doing projects in JIRA Software and reading a lot of the comments in here, why we have the "Next-Gen projects"? Because with all the stuff that is planned for being created is more or less a copy of functionality that is already available in the "classic" projects.

How is Atlassian preventing that it will become the same mess again?

This comment is not to whine about Jira or Atlassian, but it a sincere concern.

Julien Femia
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2019

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback, keep it coming, it is one of the sources we use to make prioritisation calls.

@Propzy VN @Cleber Passanante Costa @Dallin Fish Parallel sprints, workflow configuration and work log are definitely things that are on our radar right now. The team is working hard on enhancing the next-gen experience and we'll keep on improving it over time to support your use-cases. You can watch our public roadmap to keep up to date with all the changes.

@Dallin Fish The Jira Service Desk team is working on bringing next-gen to Service Desk projects too, you should hear from them very soon... :)

@François Vermeil @Paul Olivier Joseph we're in the final steps of delivering subtasks. You can watch this public ticket to get all of the updates.

@Dan H You can assign existing issues to epics by selecting them and using the "assign to epic" option in the meatball menu dropdown. For new issues, you can also select your epic in the filter and start using the inline issue create, the newly created issues will automatically be assigned to the epic you've selected. I hope this helps!

@Patrick Aalders This is an interesting question, let me try to answer it :)
Technically, the next-gen projects have been completely re-architected from the ground up. New tech stack, new architecture, new infrastructure... This has allowed us to make a number of significant improvements to the experience. As of now, those improvements include things like roadmaps, the ability to turn "features" such as backlog, sprints, or estimation ON and OFF, a new and easier system to add/edit/remove issue types and their corresponding fields, etc... We are carefully choosing the features we are bringing into next-gen and we're making the necessary improvements to help you and your team work more efficiently.
The team has also learned from the past and we're all making sure that we don't repeat some of the mistakes we have done previously.

I hope my comment answers most of your concerns.

Cheers,

Julien Femia

-- Engineering Manager, Jira Software Cloud

Like # people like this
James Harwood March 29, 2019

So only 6 months (assuming it happens by 1 April) to implement subtasks on next-gen projects then?

We already gave up waiting and reverted back to a classic project. 

Like MarekSpalek likes this
Dmitry Derbenev March 29, 2019

Cheers! can't find an ability to assign workflow on the nextgen projects. Am I missing smth?

jeetendra kumar March 30, 2019

nyc

Lukáš Pikora March 30, 2019

@Julien Femia Can you please consider adding some estimations when features you are working on will be finished on next-gen roadmap? You can also add on roadmap features you consider "things" (Parallel sprints...) to roadmap so everyone can watch progress and link there public ticket if there is any. You can also write directly on roadmap that there is some delay with delivering feature.

It think it will be better for communication with your customers. Now in roadmap "Comming soon" there are features older then 6 months and any communication about it happens here in comments under unrelated articles or in issues which can be hard to find.

Like MarekSpalek likes this
Julien Femia
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2019

@James Harwood I understand your frustration and I am sorry for the wait. As we mentioned previously, next-gen projects are completely rebuilt from the ground up. Subtasks has been re-architected for scale in next-gen and as a pre-requisite to the subtasks feature we decided to rebuild some of our internal APIs and to make sure we were not introducing any performance regression on next-gen projects, thus the long wait. We might share some of the challenges we faced once the feature is out :)

@Dmitry Derbenev You can inline create / edit / move / delete columns on a next-gen board, and you can set some rules up to automate some of your workflow. As of now, these are the only workflow configuration that exist yet in next-gen. We will be adding more power in that area soon, you can follow our public roadmap to get updates.

@Lukáš Pikora I'll talk to the team about it and we'll see how we can communicate our progress in a better way!

Sheldon April 1, 2019

Where is the roadmap for release features for next-gen project? Trello Board?

Shayan Murtaza April 3, 2019

hey guys how do i view the story points of previous sprints.

Patrick Aalders April 8, 2019

@Julien FemiaAll sounds very interesting and promising! Could you share something about the vision of things like product vs project in Next-Gen projects? And multiple teams working on a shared codebase, whereas every team is free in choosing it's process (whether it is Kanban based or SCRUM based).

I am asking because at the current moment Next-Gen projects look very single-team, single-project minded. And things like parallel sprints can help you solve these issues, but maybe other solutions are better to achieve the same goal (not that I have a clue how to solve this right now).

I care less on when I can expect a feature in Next-gen that is currently in the classic projects, but more on the long term vision. What I can expect from Atlassian and their solutions to help me solve my process challenges in my software teams.

Like Tex Rickard likes this
Abas Baskoro April 10, 2019

Like Anders Pagander likes this
sebastien April 15, 2019

Nice

Tex Rickard April 15, 2019

Great question @Patrick Aalders  

Mauricio GALVEZ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2019

Could you please give a little bit more visibility about new features?

Like johnny wyatt likes this
johnny wyatt April 23, 2019

I received an email today inviting me to join the wait list for "Jira Premium". I can't help but notice that this service is offering some of the features that I expected "Next Gen" to offer, such as roadmapping epics.image.png

Is this the reason that we have seen no movement on Next Gen for the entire time that I have been part of this board? What is the status of Next Gen?

BTW...Jira Premium costs extra.

Like # people like this
Mauricio GALVEZ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2019

@johnny wyatt nice feature, being able to visually identify linked tasks is great! this is tending towards gantt view ;)

I have a question for you WTF is JIRA Premium ? a new product ?  pricing ??

thanks for the information

joseph.brown April 24, 2019

6 months since Next Gen was launched and we still don't have sub-tasks, which is an essential feature for most teams. Instead of providing this basic feature, you've been working on some additional premium features to get more money out of your customers. 

Dave Greenly April 24, 2019

Hi There, I think it would be really cool to be able to add Milestones to the Roadmap.  Right now I am just creating an Epic, and setting the start date and end date to the same day. 

It would be nice to be able to have a Milestone issue type that could be added to the Roadmap.  The you could change the color etc...  Right now, I cannot find a way to add anything but an epic to the Roadmap.

Also, adding the ability to use different text options in the Epic/Milestone names would really help differentiate them in the column on the left.

By the way, I love the new Roadmap functionality!  

Thanks

Dave

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events