Bulk deletion of Jira users or Customer users

48 comments

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2022

Hey folks about the 400 error on bulk delete issue. I've added an update to the app so the audit log will give out more reasons why it fails rather than just stating 400 error. The reason should provide an answer to the cause of the 400 error. I believe with that, it should resolve the issue.

Edward_Davies August 2, 2022

Prince,   I just found this and am excited to use the app.  I downloaded it into my instance, but I can't log-in for whatever reason.   I even changed my password and it still isn't letting me in.  

Our company uses single sign-on, and I have accounts on multiple Jira Instances.  Wondering if that is complicating anything.....

Any advice ?  Thanks in advance

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2022

Hey @Edward_Davies 

You will need to sign up for an account then use that account to login into the app. There's a guide here which shows you how to do it. Once you're logged in, generate an API token from here which you need to add to the app before performing any action.

Luke Shoemaker
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 10, 2022

Hello - I did some testing and received a successful log entry:  Executed successfully, bulk user deletion. (Success:204) Yet when I go back and look, I still see the users there.  Is there a times sync that I am not aware of?

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2022

There shouldn't be any time delay in such action. In any case, a proper refresh should do it.

Like Kristen Bond likes this
Faisal Shamim August 23, 2022

Hi @Prince Nyeche  , I am trying to bulk remove user from Jira user group , But getting 404 error : 

I have prepared Csv comma delimited file with  following format and also integrated API token

UIDNameGroup
Failure removing multiple users 5eb083855862510b793a7f90 from group jira-software-users

Don't know why its not working . Can you please let me know 

I also tried to delet bulk users but then I got ERROR: 400 saying you cannot delete user 'xxx' because 17 issues were reported by this person.

Anyways but instead of deleting I want to remove those users from group as I simply want to revoke access but keep the user as a "user without site access" 

May I am creating file wrongly , I tried with the following format but that also didn;t work

Groupuser NameUID

Thanks, 

Faisal

Faisal Shamim August 23, 2022

Thanks , It worked now, I was not formatting file correctly. 

Like Prince Nyeche likes this
Steven Rhodes September 30, 2022

Hi @Prince Nyeche I am deleting thousands of users and the BulkOps UI logs me out after 10mins. The Atlassian API also times out after 1800 seconds - "This is to inform you that your requested jobs failed due to: Task exceeded maximum timeout value (1800 seconds). Outcome: Failure in bulk user deletion. You should check the audit log page for any additional info. Cheers, The BulkOps App Team"

Is there anything you can do about this? The BulkOps UI timeout doesnt seem to have an impact on the deletion process but i can no longer get back to the Bulk User Deletion progress bar to see how far its got.

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2022

Hey @Steven Rhodes 

That's an interesting question. The bulk jobs are done in 30 minutes intervals due to limited resources. However, for bulk delete jobs, I would recommend uploads of 4K rows (max rows in your CSV file) per task to avoid hitting the timeout state. As you've noticed, the logout doesn't impact the job and it does that in the background. When that failure happens, the progress info is set to 100% to allow another request to take place. I think what I can do here is send the progress information as part of the message that comes in-app and also how many rows out of the current CSV file have been deleted so far. If you think that would be useful information, I can add that as a "To Do" task for the next update or maintenance cycle I'll do.

Steven Rhodes October 4, 2022

@Prince Nyeche Understood. I'll chop the CSVs into 4000 row chunks. My last batch was over 8600 rows. If my session with BulkOps times out though it would be great to know that when I re-log in that I can see how many rows have been processed. If there was an option to stay logged in for longer that would also help.

Kristen Bond January 24, 2023

I just ran this app today, and got a 400 error for users that had issues assigned to them, had made comments, etc.  Do I need to manually delete these, as BulkOps doesn't seem to understand deleting people who have "no site access"? 

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2023

The  API won't allow such deletion because in terms of Jira context, the issue isn't closed and some work is still going on that's why the 400 error appears. The easiest way to go about this is to find out which issues are open and close them or have the issues resolved. Since the API for deleting users is still experimental, it doesn't force delete the users if the user has made an action on an active Jira issue.

Kristen Bond January 25, 2023

Thanks @Prince Nyeche !!!! I noticed I can't do it in Jira either (one by one, which is frustrating).  I hate the resolution field so much! 

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2023

You could easily use automation for Jira to bulk add a resolution value to those issues via a JQL search and transition them to close. I assume most probably that these issues opened shouldn't be more than 1K issues, so if you can create a rule that does that, then it will solve this immediate problem. Moving forward, it is always best practice to ensure each issue closed or resolved has a resolution value.

Like Kalin U likes this
Kristen Bond January 25, 2023

That is what I normally do.... but we have to switch from our cloud Jira to an enterprise Jira which is out of the box server based, so i have to reconfigure EVERYTHING.... without System Admin privileges.  

Amarnadh Gadde
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 7, 2023

Hello,

I am not able to even open the app and configure it on our Jira cloud instance. when I go under my apps and selected bulk ops. It spins and then it says something went wrong contact Jira support etc. 

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2023

Hey @Amarnadh Gadde 

Typically that should not happen but you can attempt the flow again, probably in an incognito window to see if that helps.

Amarnadh Gadde
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 7, 2023

@Prince Nyeche I tried incignito but it gives the error saying something is wrong, our team is notified. I am a site admin. The bulkops app in my list of apps shows a broken symbol image. I tried uninstall and reinstall as well and it doesnt work. 

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2023

If it's showing a broken image, most probably there's some form of blocking happening. Are you behind a firewall or VPN, you might be blocking some of Atlassian IP ranges?  Probably you can check with your Network admin about Atlassian domains or IP ranges that could be whitelisted. 

Matt Smith April 20, 2023

So this does not actually delete the user it makes them inactive?

I am aiming to Clear down our smoke test instance to do our next level migration and testing, so need all but an Admin user.

KR,

Matt

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 20, 2023

It deletes Jira users and Customer users. It does not delete users who have active issues that are not resolved and it does not delete managed users.

Stefan Froehlich December 1, 2023

Hi there, I have just tried deleting three test customers from our jira instance - is there a delay when the changes take affect? because I got a confirmation the action went through, I can see the success in the audit log but all three customers are still in the list (I refreshed this a few times as well)

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2023

The Atlassian delete sync is supposed to be immediate but if that doesn't happen probably give it a few minutes (for example 3-10 minutes) for the sync to take effect. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events