Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Bulk deletion of Jira users or Customer users

Gone are the days when you need to go through the REST API or pay for an app just to delete users or create users. I have always felt the need to help people as much as I can and doing so I have created a free app that helps do just that, which can be downloaded for free. You can install the app called BulkOps app from the Atlassian Marketplace and perform bulk deletion of jira users or customer users.

bulkops.png

Just to give you a background, on Jira there are two user types that exist.

1. Jira users - Which is any user that has access to Jira core, Jira software or Jira Service Management.
  2. Customer users - Which is any user that has access to Jira Service Management portal

In order to use this app for bulk deletion, all you need to do is prepare a CSV file having just 2 columns. The id column to capture the accountId of your users and a displayname column just to show you who the users are.

Delete Jira users

To delete Jira users, simply prepare a CSV file of your user list. You can get this from your admin hub by navigating to https://your-instance.atlassian.net/admin under the user tab click on the export users button to the top right side.

jira_user.png

Once you download the file, open it and delete other columns leaving only the "id" and "name" columns then save the file. That way when uploading this file with the app, it can know the right user to delete

Delete customer users

Similarly, if you need to delete customer users, navigate to https://your-instance.atlassian.net/admin/jira-service-desk/portal-only-customers and click on the export customers button on the top right side.

customers.png

Once you download the file, open it and delete other columns leaving only the "username" and "full_name" columns then save the file. This will be the format of the file you will upload using the app.

Perform a bulk delete after you've structured your file by launching the app - navigate to the users > bulk delete user and upload the file and that's it.

bulk_delete.png

If formatted correctly, the app will delete the users you have on the file.

4 comments

Thank you, this looks like it should save a lot of time clearing up migrating to cloud and copying old customer users over. 

Hey there @Prince Nyeche - this app is awesome, but I seem to just get errors when I run it to bulk delete users. At the moment, just 500 errors. What am I doing wrong?

Hi @Dave Keating 

For bulk delete, it should be a CSV file in UTF-8 formatting and your delimiter in the file should follow any one of the five options provided within the app prior to upload. However, please raise a request at https://elfapp.website/support with an example file structure and I'll look into it.

Comment

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you