A new Azure DevOps app by Atlassian

We love to hear about how integrating your tools into Jira Software makes for a better developer experience. This includes CI/CD which brings your deployment data directly into Jira Software allowing developers to see work suggestions, deployment frequency, and deployment timelines.

A new Azure DevOps marketplace app

We work to provide our users with the best software development experience possible. We wanted to provide a high-performing, free, Azure DevOps app which supports both classic and selected multi-stage pipeline configurations. This way, no matter how you work, Jira is ready for your team.

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 4.56.22 PM.png
Get Azure DevOps deployments, builds, work suggestions, and more in Jira

Track your team’s deployments and builds with ease. Jira issues are automatically updated with deployment status and environment details from Azure DevOps.

Image 3.jpg

Visualize CI/CD activity directly on your board, in the development dialog and by viewing the deployment timeline for better traceability. Gain insights into deployment frequency and cycle time through the Insights panel. Then have work suggestions surfaced for you, notifying you of any failed builds or deployments right in your board.

You can read more about the CI/CD integration here.

Try out the new app and let us know how it goes!

We want you to experience the new Azure DevOps app from Atlassian. We are actively supporting and continuously improving this app. Let us know if you have any questions or suggestions, we want to help you succeed!

17 comments

Jonathan Blackburn January 29, 2024

Great to finally have this but would be hugely valuable to link to the repos too!

Like Stuart Capel - London likes this
Aditi Venkatesh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2024

Hi @Jonathan Blackburn

Thanks for your feedback! We are actively exploring this and have created a ticket here to gather interest in supporting integration with Azure DevOps Repos.

Cheers,

Aditi

bjorkblom February 2, 2024

Great to see this app! DevOps release pipelines doesn't send information regarding work items that has been deployed to Jira, and the tickets/deployment section in Jira isn't displaying deployment information. Any fix planned for this?

Aditi Venkatesh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2024

Hi @bjorkblom ,

Thanks for your feedback! Can you please answer the following so that I can better understand your request?

• Based on your comment, it looks like you are using Classic Release Pipelines - is this correct?
  • If so is it triggered by a build artifact or is it scheduled? And, if it is triggered by build artifact, does the build pipeline reference multiple repositories?

Thank you,

Aditi

bjorkblom February 5, 2024

Hi @Aditi Venkatesh! Thanks for you reply!

I'm using the yaml file (not classic) for build pipeline, and the build information is not updated in the ticket. I can see in the service hook in DevOps that information regarding the build is sent to https://azure-devops-for-jira.services.atlassian.com/hooks/build/completed and the response on that request is 200.

Same with the release (using classic), requests is sent to https://azure-devops-for-jira.services.atlassian.com/hooks/deployment/started and https://azure-devops-for-jira.services.atlassian.com/hooks/deployment/completed but no deployment info is displayed in Jira. The response here is also 200.

I've tried to trigger release pipeline with both build artifact and manual with the same result. The project is a single GitHub repository.

Thanks!

bjorkblom February 5, 2024

After removing another app that I tested in Jira "Azure DevOps for Jira" the "Azure DevOps for Jira (Official)" app worked as expected. Case closed. Thanks for support!

Aditi Venkatesh
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2024

@bjorkblom glad the issue has been resolved! Feel free to reach out with any future feedback regarding the integration.

Cheers,

Aditi

Andreas Häber
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 8, 2024

Is it possible to do something to filter which issues are related to a deployment? We struggle with this when using one git repo for multiple components.

Consider a git repo for 3 applications/components. During development we merge commits to the repo with commit messages like "XYZ-123 message". What we see in Jira is that the same issue is deployed for all applications. Technically, that is true since the apps are built based on all the commits. However, it makes it a bit confusing when looking at the issues in Jira and see that it is in production when the component it is implemented for has not been deployed yet.

To elaborate on the example above. All commits have been merged to the "main" branch in the repository and on a Monday we deploy 2 of the apps to production. On Tuesday it is confusing when you look at issues only for the third app and see that those are also in Production. You have to look more closely at it to spot that it was not deployed yet for the app it was intended for, just for the two others.

A suggestion for how to improve this. In Jira we set the component field on each issue to which component(s) it belongs to. If the .jira/config.yml mapping could be extended to include a map to specify which component each pipeline is mapped to then that could be used to filter which issues are actually relevant for the pipelines.

Example yaml code:
deployments:
  environmentMapping:
    # .... as before, just included here to give the context
  pipelineMapping:
    cd-application-1: 'component-a'
     cd-application-2: 'component-b'
Mike Jarosch
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 8, 2024

Does this work with deployments happening in a pipeline (yaml, not classic)? We connected it and I can see the hooks in DevOps, but the Deployments page in Jira still shows the setup popover.

Martin E February 9, 2024

Is this only available for Cloud?  

Aditi Venkatesh
Atlassian Team
February 12, 2024

Hi @Mike Jarosch,

Yes, this integration also supports yaml configuration. Can you please confirm the following:

1. Ensure you do not have any other Azure DevOps integration installed.
  2. Are deploys triggered by a build artifact or is they scheduled? And, if it is triggered by build artifact, does the build pipeline reference multiple repositories?

Thanks,

Aditi

Aditi Venkatesh
Atlassian Team
February 12, 2024

Hello @Martin E ,

Yes, this integration is only available for Jira Cloud.

Regards,

Aditi

Mike Jarosch
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 12, 2024

Hi @Aditi Venkatesh ,

1. I am not an admin on our Jira instance, but we do have Azure Pipelines for Jira installed from earlier attempts at integration. Should I ask if we can uninstall it?

2. Neither, our deploys are a stage in our build pipeline. The pipeline does reference an additional repository containing infrastructure related deploy files.

I have started to see Build information on our Jiras, but not Branches, Commits, PRs or Deployments.

Thanks,
Mike

Aditi Venkatesh
Atlassian Team
February 12, 2024

@Mike Jarosch Thanks for the clarifications.

My first recommendation would be to uninstall the Azure Pipelines for Jira integration as this is likely stopping data from being sent via the Azure DevOps for Jira (Official) integration.

If you are still not seeing Deployments, ensure that deployment stages in your pipeline are using Azure Deployment Jobs. You can find further details on configuring Azure CI/CD pipelines with our integration here.

Otherwise, please raise a support request so that our team can investigate your configuration further and provide guidance.

Finally, regarding Branches, Commits and PRs, we currently do not support Source Code Management data however are actively exploring this and tracking interest using this public issue.

Regards,

Aditi

Aditi Venkatesh
Atlassian Team
February 13, 2024

Hi @Andreas Häber ,

Thank you for your feedback.

We understand the challenge you're experiencing with deployment tracking across multiple components in a single git repo. Your suggestion to adjust the .jira/config.yml mapping is a great idea and we will certainly consider it.

We appreciate your input as we continue to improve our CI/CD capabilities.

Regards,

Aditi

Noel Anderton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 11, 2024

Does this integration work for Compass? We are exploring various IDP(s) but it is a big hole if the Pipelines are not integrated.

thanks

noel 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events