Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Azure DevOps for Jira (Official) - Deployment Events

Ronald Bergmann April 24, 2024

Where does Azure DevOps for Jira (Official) take deployment events from?

The docs suggest that it's only special deployment jobs that provide the correct information to Jira. However, I have some projects listing deployments even though I don't use deployment jobs.

I guess that Jira is looking at the names of stages or jobs to determine whether it's a deployment or not. I have, for example, a stage and a job both called "DeployStage". I see deployment events for them and Jira even got the environment "staging". I have the same thing but with a key Jira doesn't now and it's listed under "other environments".

This would be super helpful (for I don't want to use deployment jobs). I just can't find any reference supporting my guess. And I also wouldn't feel too great relying on some undocumented behaviour. The docs are a bit meager in this regard.

/edit: Extra bit of information: As of March 1, 2024 I sadly no longer get any deployment events in Jira for aforementioned project ...

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ronald Bergmann April 30, 2024

The answer for us was to use the correct app ... I thought I double-checked but apparently we (still) haven't had the official one. After switching to the official app, reauthentication, and using deployment jobs I can now spot deployments hitting Jira.

0 votes
Trung Do
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2024

Hi @Ronald Bergmann 

If you still need help, could you please raise a support ticket so we can look into your setup in more details?

Thanks,

Ronald Bergmann April 30, 2024

Will do, thanks. However, can you tell if the previous behaviour was a bug? It seems like Jira picked up random events as deployments. I can, for example, see a job "UnitTest" being picked up as a deployment event for the "Testing" environment (and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a deployment job and didn't have "deploy" anywhere).

@Trung Do 

0 votes
Trung Do
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2024

Hi @Ronald Bergmann ,

Besides the deployment jobs in the YAML pipeline, the app also consider deployment stage in the classic release pipelines as a Deployment. Perhaps this is what have been captured in your instance?

Let us know if you have further questions

Thanks

Ronald Bergmann April 26, 2024

Hi @Trung Do

Thanks for the reply! It seems like this has been the case up until Mar 1, this year. After that no more deployment events were tracked even though the pipeline has not been touched.

Yesterday I tried deployment jobs. Jira lists commits, the branch und the PR on my card but the deployments remain empty. I wonder if there's a bug with the project or org. The setup for deployments has all-green checkmarks.

Do you have any idea how to debug this further?

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events