Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilizing smart values in linking an issue

Nita Brumbaugh June 29, 2021

I have tried several suggestions from the community on utilizing a smart value to extract a value from the description and utilizing it to create a link to an issue in an automation rule.

Here is the description of my issue:

Organization: Hosted Claim System
Customer Reference # CC-3301

Env. Affected: Production

So I utilized the string between to get the value:

{{issue.description.substringBetween("Customer Reference # ","Env. Affected:")}}

I put this smart value in the "Link issue to" in the automation rule.   I'm trying to get the CC-3301 to be a linked issue to the current issue

This wasn't working, so I created a temporary jira field and used the above smart value and it put the CC-3301 in the jira custom field.

So then I used the jira custom field I created that has the CC-3301 value in it as the "Link issue to" with each of the following smart values:

{{customfield_16100}}

{{issue.customfield_16100}}

{{issue.customfield_16100.id}}

Then I tried utilizing Json under the edit issue "more options" to fill in the "Link issue to" fields:

{"update": {
"issuelinks": [
{
"add": {
"type": {
"name": "Relates"
},
"outwardIssue": {
"key": "{{issue.customfield_16100}}"
}
}
}
]
}
}

Still cannot get anything to work.  I don't understand why the 

{{issue.description.substringBetween("Customer Reference # ","Env. Affected:")}}

works to fill in the custom field, but won't work on the "Link issue to"

I'm not sure what else to try....Link issues

07/07/21 - so I tried putting some Json in the more options under Edit issue(see below) for Automation for JIra.  I put the information from the description in a custom field and automation fills in the issue key I want to link to the custom field.  Then I tried to utilize the custom field value in the link for the current issue.   I get the error (At least one of 'id' or 'key' is required to identify an issue)

Does anyone have any Ideas on how to take a value out of the jira issue description and utilize the value for creating a link for the current issue???????

{
"update": {
"issuelinks": [{
"add": {
"type": {
"name": "Relates",
"inward": "is blocked by",
"outward": "blocks"
},
"outwardIssue": {
"key": "{{issue.customfield_16100}}"
}