Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update resolution

Rama Krishna January 30, 2023

Hi Here,

In my Jira instance due to legacy automation we have configured for auto resolving of issues after 3 days of waiting for customer, many of issues are left with no resolution.

Using the scriptrunner app I am aware that we can bulk update the resolution, but I want to update with the resolution with actual date each ticket was transitioned to Done/resolved.

can someone help/suggest please.

By seeing this article it gave me hope that it can achieved but not sure of the process:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Jira-Heroes-How-Jira-Admin-Sue-Wilson-standardized-the-use-of/ba-p/2185991

2 answers

0 votes
Vamsi Kandala
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2023

Hi @Rama Krishna

If I understand correctly, you want to check for issues which were sitting on 'Waiting for Customer' status for more than 3 days and auto-close them along with setting the 'Resolution' field.

In that case, you can create the automation rule:

• Select the trigger as 'Scheduled'
  • Choose the option to run it everyday at a fixed time, say 6:00 AM
  • Provide the JQL query to search for issues which were in status 'Waiting for Customer' and which were last updated more than 3 days ago
  • Select the 'Branch' component and select 'Current issue' as the option
  • Transition the issue to 'Resolved' or 'Closed' or 'Done' depending on your workflow for the related issue type
    • In the 'More options', select the 'Bypass workflow conditions and permissions' option
  • Choose the action as 'Edit issue' and select the 'Resolution' field
  • Set the appropriate value for the 'Resolution' field

This will run everyday at 6:00 AM and checks for issues which were in 'Waiting for Customer' status and updated more than 3 days ago.  If any issues were found, it will auto-transition them to 'Resolved/ Closed/ Done' and sets the 'Resolution' field accordingly.

Note that, your workflow should have valid transition from 'Waiting for Customer' to 'Resolved/ Closed/ Done' or at least the 'All' transition for 'Resolved/ Closed/ Done' status.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Vamsi

Hey @Vamsi Kandala ,

Yeah for upcoming issues resolving I thought if adding that scheduled automation rule. But if I schedule it will update all issues at a specific time which might have more than 300 issues at a time, and due to our automation restrictions, I have a doubt that it might not update all the issues..

Vamsi Kandala
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2023

Hi @Rama Krishna

There should not be a problem in updating more than 300 issues though it takes time to complete the process.  That is why it is recommended to schedule it early in the morning so that there won't be any load in the system.  We have similar setup in our company as well.

Thanks,
Vamsi

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2023

@Rama Krishna -

A few things that you need to confirm -

1) By default, resolution is always set via WF transition into the terminal status (Done/Close etc), where the resolution date is automatically populated.  This is why when an issue is reopen, the resolution is typically reset to NULL and resolution date is also removed.

2) Using script runner to bulk update the resolution is essentially used to correct incorrect resolution value against multiple issues and not for setting resolution value in my understanding.

Are you trying to update those issues (from your legacy automation) where they are resolved, but the resolution field was not populated?.  If so, then there may be an issue with the WF those issues are using.  It means that they got moved into a WF status where the transition used didn't set the resolution value properly.

Can you provide a bit more information, so we can better assist you?

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Hey @Joseph Chung Yin ,

My Legacy automation is resolving the issue which were idle for 3 working days. But the issue is its not updating the resolution field.

As you know the issues without resolution field will not be considered as resolved issues, it giving us incorrect results during the report pulling.

I want to correct this for already resolved issues where the resolution was null with the actual resolved date.

Using script runner I can bulk update resolution where the resolution was null, but it will update the resolution date/time as current date/time. I don't want that to happen. It should update the already resolved issues with the actual resolved date/time.

Thanks

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2023

@Rama Krishna -

As I mentioned, by default the resolved date is populated at the time when issue's resolution value is provided.  While using ScriptRunner is simply allowing you to update the resolution field.

You may want to using CSV batch update to set both resolution/resolved date  

Key - Please make sure you have the correct date format while setting the date.

Here's the reference on formatting -

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Is-there-a-way-to-change-the-quot-Resolution-Date-quot-in-Jira/qaq-p/385739

Here's the reference using CSV via external system import to conduct bulk update against existing issues - 

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/

The above solution was mentioned by another community leader in a previous 2022 posting for your reference - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Trying-to-update-issue-resolution-date-from-CSV-Import-but-not/qaq-p/1918618

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Rama Krishna February 4, 2023

Thanks for suggesting Joseph, let me try these out

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events