Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit permissions for jira users adding customers to a service project

Trevor Overstreet May 18, 2023

How can I control user permissions so project users can not add or deleter Customers or Organizations from the Jira Service Project.

Current configuration: multiple organizations are being used across multiple service projects but project Users, Service Desk Team, Developers etc are deleting users from orgs where they shouldnt be removed. 

I need control over who is added or removed from organizations in a service project.

Please help and thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2023

Hello @Trevor Overstreet 

According to documentation only a Jira Administrator can delete a customer account.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/deactivate-a-customers-account/

The companion article about deleting a customer organization does not state the required level of permissions.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/remove-an-organization-from-a-service-project/

I don't have an environment where I can test, but I would hope that at a minimum one would have to be an Administrator for the Service Management project to be able to delete customers or organizations.

Is your experience that users who are neither Project Admins nor Jira Admins are able to delete customers and customer organizations?

Trevor Overstreet May 22, 2023

Sorry Trudy, I should clarify. Re: the first article above, they're removing users from the organizations but not necessarily deleting them from jira service mgmt. 

The 2nd article describes what Jira project users are doing...they're removing people from organizations and I need to lock it down where only admins can do this.

After doing some testing it appears if a Jira user has "service desk team" permission which is just basic permissioning then that user can add and update users in the project organization 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

I think you need to change the configuration of Jira Service Management as described below. Note this will affect all your Service Management projects.

1. Click on the gear icon next to your avatar.

2. Select Products.

3. Select Configuration under Jira Service Management.

4. Change the Organization Management option to restrict management of organization to only Jira Admins.

Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 3.27.16 PM.png

Like Trevor Overstreet likes this
Trevor Overstreet June 6, 2023

Ahhh this is it. Thank you very much!

Like Trudy Claspill likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin