Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to link a cascading drop-down to a form?

Ian Walker April 29, 2024

Hello Everyone.

I have a request type of Change Request that shows an RFC form in the servicedesk portal for customers to fill out.

My issue is that I have a cascading drop-down called Project that looks like this:

JSD1.png

I want to add that to the RFC form that is displayed to the user, but, when I try to do this I get this message:

JSD2.png

So, I edit the RFC form, and look for the Project Jira field to link to, but it isn't listed - why?

JSD3.png

How can I get it to appear so I can add it to the RFC form?

Many thanks.

3 answers

1 vote
Vijay Dadi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2024

I get it now. To add the values in the dropdown, you have to do context configuration for the custom field.

Cascade.pngCascade1.png

This video might be useful regarding how to add values in context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaAQcnZai1M

Happy to help !

Vijay

Sanjay G May 2, 2024

Hi @Vijay Dadi ,

I was looking for this answer and this worked perfectly.

Thank You

Sanjay G

Like Vijay Dadi likes this
0 votes
Richard Scholtes May 13, 2024

I have the same problem. It seems there is no field type "cascading drop-down" in Forms, yet. Therefore there is no possibility to link this field type to a form.

Vijay Dadi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2024

@Richard Scholtes ,

This field exists as custom field in Jira. And you have to link that field to a field on your dynamic form.

Cascading.png

Vijay

Like Sanjay G likes this
Vijay Dadi
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2024

If you are not using any dynamic forms, you can directly add those custom fields on your Request Types.

Cascade2.pngCascade3.png

Like Sanjay G likes this
Richard Scholtes May 14, 2024

I think you are confusing things here. Ian and me we are talking about "Forms", you are talking about the field selection in Request Types. As I already said: In Forms it is not possible at the moment.

0 votes
Vijay Dadi
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2024

Dear @Ian Walker ,

You have to create a new custom Jira field with the values you intend to have in the drop down.

Once you have the field created, you can link that field to a field on your form and you should be able to achieve your requirement with this.

Hope this helps !

Vijay

Ian Walker May 1, 2024

Thank you @Vijay Dadi 

I can get it to work with a standard drop-down custom field.

But if the custom field is of the type dropdown (cascading) then it doesn't appear as a selectable field to link to on the form.

Please correct me if I am doing something wrong - thanks!

Vijay Dadi
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2024

Since your custom field is created as custom drop down field, it will be available as it is on your form.

Try it out.

Vijay

Like # people like this
Ian Walker May 1, 2024

@Vijay Dadi  If you look at the screenshot I gave above, you can see Project is not listed to be linked to, but it appears on the ServiceDesk portal as a custom field that is a cascading dropdown, maybe I am missing something here?

Many thanks.

Vijay Dadi
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2024

I get it now. To add the values in the dropdown, you have to do context configuration for the custom field.

Cascade.pngCascade1.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaAQcnZai1M

This youtube video might be helpful for you. 

Happy to help !

Vijay

Like Sanjay G likes this
Ian Walker May 13, 2024

Thank you @Vijay Dadi 

I'm a little confused, my Project custom field already has this.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 080210.png

What are my next steps?  What am I missing?  I still cannot access 'Project' on a from to link to.

Is it because, currently, the 'Project' custom field is a cascading drop-down and instead it should be a standard drop-down?

So, I need to recreate it and delete the cascading drop-down, is that correct?

Many thanks!

Vijay Dadi
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2024

@Ian Walker ,

Hopefully, my screenshot below answers your question. Cascading field can't be linked to a field on dynamic form, instead use it as a normal jira field. 

PS: Don't use the cascading field on the dynamic forms.

Cascade4.png

Cascade1.pngCascade3.png

Like Sanjay G likes this
Richard Scholtes May 14, 2024

@Ian Walker 

yes. To circumvent the fact, that cascading drop downs are not (yet) possible in forms you will have to create at least two normal drop downs out of it and maybe work with conditional sections in the form to get the information from the form field linked to issue fields

Like Ian Walker likes this
Ian Walker May 14, 2024

Thank you @Richard Scholtes and @Vijay Dadi , makes sense now.

Like Vijay Dadi likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events