Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to implement ITIL with Jira Service Desk

Barret_Wallace February 23, 2020

I know that JSD ist certified for Incident Management, Problem Management, Change Management and Request Fulfillment and I also know that there are workflows available for those processes.

But:

• Should those processes be realized in distinct Service Desks? Or are they issue types within a holistic ITSM service desk?
  • How should I process business cases that involve several organizational units and processes?

Example for the latter:

A user can’t print. He raises an incident issue. The service team responds by connecting him to a different printer. This workaround closes the incident. However, the original printer does not work anymore and it should be replaced.

What are the next steps? Does the service team raise a ‘problem‘ issue? Should the incident issue be linked? Can the problem issue be closed as soon as the new printer is in place?

What about the purchasing process. This is done outside the IT department. Probably the purchasing department has its own service desk. Should the problem management team raise a ticket in the purchasing service desk? Then, there would be 3 issues for one business case (user can’t print).

Any help (or links or pdfs) are greatly appreciated! Did I understand the concepts of Jira and ITIL correctly?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2020

Hi @Barret_Wallace 

You are thinking in the right direction. Let me elaborate further.

Here is what you can do in Jira.

Issue Types: Incident, Problem, Change.

Workflows: 3 separate for these processes.

App:

1. Insight for Asset Management, your printer would be one of the asset that can be linked to the Incidents, using a simple custom field.
  2. ScriptRunner for Jira.

Jira

• Customer raises Incident.
  • Asset Owner can view many Incidents raised for that printer.
  • Agent can raise a problem and link all those related Incidents.
  • Raise a Change request to replace the printer, it could be in the same Jira Service Desk instance, may be different project or any other Jira Service Desk instance.
  • Incident <-> Problem <-> Change. Since these these tickets are linked, the status of one can be shown at other linked issues.
  • Once Change request is approved and resolved (printer replaced) or closed. Update/Resolve the linked Problem or Incident.

I hope it helps. You can do without additional apps but these apps will help a lot in doing little bit of automation here and there to reduce manual effort.

Ravi

Barret_Wallace February 24, 2020

Thanks. That's a good answer for my second question. What would you say regarding the first one?

Everything in one Service Desk? Right now, I'd say:

• One SD for the actual ITSM things (incidents, problems, change,...)
  • A separate one for the procurement things, because they are outside of ITSM and, in my opinion, that perhaps should not be mixed. Otherwise, the agents of certain workflows (for instance problem management) would become customers for other workflows (purchases) within the same service desk. Perhaps that should be avoided!?

What do you think?

Like Tran_Hoang_Hai likes this
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2020

It can be separate thought agents can internally also raise a request in other projects without going to the portal. 

If the teams are different then yes separate projects makes little more sense. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events