Why can't I delete my account?

Deleted user January 15, 2019

If I don't get the right answer this time, I am forwarding this to my Legal Department!!!!!

When I try to delete my account, I get this message. I really am wasting a lot of time here and I feel like I am getting scammed. I was looking for contract work, not more software bills.

You can't delete your account

Your account can't be deleted because:

• This account is the primary billing contact for one or more products.
  • This account is a technical contact for one or more products.

Then I got a reply that was sheer gibberish. I WANT THIS ACCOUNT TOTALLY DELETED NOW.

8 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

5 votes
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2019

Seems clear enough. You need to have your account removed from the Technical Contact or Primary Billing Contact fields. Log into your account and see which of those you are set as. Or if you paid more than $10 for the license, then contact Atlassian Support for help.

Also, this community isn't really a threat sort of place. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2019

It's an angrier duplicate of https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Questions/Account-deletion/qaq-p/981739 where I said mostly the same thing, although I think your answer is written more clearly (as usual!)

It is a shame that someone lashes out at those trying to help, when the problem is that they are not understanding what was said before.  Let's hope your answer is more clear!

Like Matt Doar likes this

OK. Both of you are speaking some kind of language that I cannot understand and I am an English Major.

Your jargon is foreign to a guy who just now was fooled into registering with this site, which I am unclear what it does or why I wound up here. I don't know what "technical Contact" or "Primary Billing Contact Fields" mean.

I did not spend any money because I didn't supply any payment information.

I log into my account and I DON'T SEE any of the fields of options you two have posted here. 

I tried to contact Atlassian Support and I get dink. Just a cycle that talks to me in the same damn gibberish and the option to send yet another Support Ticket or a question to the community.

As for Nic, yes, I am lashing out. This little diversion cost me about an hour of time and frustration and counting. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU SAID BEFORE!!!!! I DO NOT KNOW THE INTRICACIES OF YOUR INTERFACE NOR DO I WANT TO!!! 

Matt's answer is even less clear than the first one.

It is impossible to think in this time in computing that a man can't just simply delete an account without wasting all this time and emotion.

I did not buy or pay for anything. I don't know all of these terms you are using. Just please send me to a live support person or someone else who can get me out of this.

Like Deleted user likes this

This is the interface I get when I log in.

There are no options for "Technical Contact or Primary Billing Contact." I also did not pay for anything I am aware of.

General Email Security Connected apps Delete account

Personal details

You can't delete your account

Your account can't be deleted because:

• This account is the primary billing contact for one or more products.
  • This account is a technical contact for one or more products.
Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2019

I am sorry that your "English major" has let you down so badly.

The fact is that your account has signed up for a service (as you said you did).  This service needs to have at least one contact named as the owner and you are it.  

"Primary billing contact" and "technical contact" are pretty clear to most people - and even if they are not, they are simply the names of the role(s) you are named in.  You need to identify where you are named as either of those and change it.

Please visit https://my.atlassian.com and look at the list of items that you are named on.

Like # people like this

Jesus The Christ and all The Freaking Saints in Heaven!!!!! Where in the Hell are all these freaking places on this damn website?

Where are the checkboxes for "Primary Billing Contact" and "Technical Contact"?

I don't remember signing up for any of those things!

Where is this mysterious "contact named as the owner"? I didn't fill that out and I can't find it anywhere on the pages I see. I posted the interface I get when I log in. Perhaps you can point out where in the Hell a guy can go to check off these boxes and delete the information instead of acting like the snotty IT techs we used to have back in the 90s.

Also, WHY CAN"T I JUST DELETE MY OWN ACCOUNT!!!!!!!!??? No other human being on earth is involved in this except me. What legal right does this backwater website have to hold me hostage? 

As for you Damn website links, I go to them, there is no option for any of the things you name here. I CUT AND PASTED the interfaces into my question and reply. Did you not see them?

This is like a cancer. 

Like # people like this

Here is the GODDAMNED interface I see everytime I log on.

Where the hell are all these "Primary billing contact" and "technical contact" are pretty clear to most people - and even if they are not, they are simply the names of the role(s) you are named in.  You need to identify where you are named as either of those and change it.

As for you snide remarks, do we need to have a Mensa Challenge to prove to you that I am not stupid or technology challenged? SHOW ME how simply the names or the roles I am named in. Instead of gibberish, SHOW me where it says that so I can get away from this lousy cheating website and your condescending comments. While we are at it, why can't I communicate directly with this homespun, Aussie-based, 1990s support directly instead of getting waterboarded in this Third World frappe of misinformation and smugness?

Like FUnic likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2019

You have not attached any images of what you are seeing.

If you log in, you see a list of systems associated with your account.  If you click on any of them, it will show you who the contacts are.

I don't understand why you are not doing this.

Like # people like this
Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2019
Like # people like this
Deleted user January 21, 2019

Nic

The reason I am not doing this is because, again, you are using some kind of jargon that does not appear on this webpage you speak of.

I posted the information that appears on these pages and yet you seem to have not looked at them.

I don't understand why you are not doing this.

Here is what I get:

My Atlassian
Hey Vince Lovato, welcome to the Atlassian customer portal. You can manage your license below. For questions relating to managing your account, licensing or purchasing, please see the purchasing and licensing FAQ or contact a customer service representative. To request technical support, please visit our Support Portal. For technical support with your product add-ons please check listing details on the Atlassian Marketplace.

New Evaluation License | New SourceTree License

Filter by SEN, product, or name
Licenses 1 Evaluations Archived
SEN Product Name Support Expires Support
SEN-13164849 Atlassian Cloud (Monthly Payments) appenlogin 22 Jan 2019 Request Support
Name
appenlogin
SEN SEN-13164849
URL https://appenlogin.atlassian.net
Subscription
Inactive
Expiration Date 22 January 2019
Technical Contacts
Vince Lovato ymomarket@gmail.com PRIMARY

contact@example.com

Billing Contacts
Vince Lovato ymomarket@gmail.com PRIMARY

contact@example.com

Actions Expired Archive

That's it. I don't see anything to click on or any "systems" I don't see anyone's name except mine. There is no rollover response. I have never used this account for anything except to log in. I do not even understand what this company does. I just want to get away from it and I am particularly frustrated that I can't contact a company tech person directly instead of talking with you guys.

Johan,

Thanks but I don't need any more of these programmed answers I've fumbled with for hours.

The interface I get simply does not display any options that any of you are talking about.

All I need is a checkbox or a button that says DELETE ACCOUNT that doesn't give me the same message I shared in this thread.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2019

The screenshot you've given shows that you've managed to follow the instructions you've been given before, and it shows that you are named on two systems, which is what the original error message you saw was trying to tell you.

Transfer ownership to another person by adding them as a contact.  Then you will be able to remove yourself from the contact lists (a "remove" option will become available), and then you will be able to delete your account.

If you are not handing ownership over to another person, then you will not be able to remove your account, because legally, someone has to own the system you signed up for.

WOW.

I am the one and only person involved in this.

I do not want or need to hand ownership over to anyone else.

I have not followed ANY of the instructions anyone has given me since this thread started.

AS for your current bizarre method, I still cannot delete my account because I signed up for some "system".

I mean, seriously, are you so ingrained in this interface that you can't see that you are basically telling me I cannot delete my account because I "signed up for a system" that someone "legally" has to own? Under lawful prosecution, or what? 

I assume you are trying to be helpful but I am very computer literate and none of this makes any sense at all.  

I guess the one and only next question is, how do I delete this "system" I signed up for, or will I be cited and fined for doing so?

Geez.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2019

I am sorry, I can't understand this for you, and I can't think of a different way to explain it in a way you might understand better.

You either need transfer the systems to the new owner(s), or accept that you own something you signed up for (or accepted responsibility for from someone else who asked you to own it) and a record of your ownership needs to be kept for a period of time for auditing and ownership reasons.

1 vote
Peter Andrews
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 6, 2020

What if I am the only person involved so that there is no one else interested in the products I have?

I cannot transfer ownership to other users since there are no other users interested in these unused and not wanted resources.

I wish to delete those products so that I can then delete my Atlassian account.

Knight_Brienne
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 23, 2020

Same here. It's always the same. If I had known this, I would not have signed up to try those products out. I didn't mean to be associated with them FOREVER, I just wanted to test a trial and that's it. And usually you can just delete something if it is just a free trial, there is no need to stay assigned as owner for a period of time (or forever?) I'm writing the support to delete my account, maybe this will help. Jesus Christ.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2020

Let them lapse.

7 days for Cloud, 31 for Server.  (For server, you can log in and delete the trial though).

Or, click the couple of extra buttons about "you have a trial with us, are you really sure you want to delete"?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2020

The replies are accurate and explain what people have been missing or misunderstanding. 

1 vote
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2019

@[deleted]

We understand your frustration.

Please click here, make sure to select My account. Request your account to be deleted.

Atlassian Team will be more than happy to help you with any request.

Best,

0 votes
Tessa Alexander June 2, 2021

Great online software tools, however, the user interface for account deletion needs some user experience attention.

Unfortunately the inner workings of how your admin systems are modelled are being exposed to the end user and is causing a lot of confusion and frustration.

I have found myself in this account & product deletion loop, after trying to delete an account that previously used premium paid for features.

If Atlassian feel that they must keep hold of some personal sensitive data to comply with some legal regulation, this is not how to present this request to an end user.

If Atlassian needs to keep hold of what some minimal contact information, say for tax purposes, then state this clearly in your privacy policies.

An example user story, for the scenario where a single user is associated with an account and they wish to delete their user and product account, that meets the business need of Atlassian to record, recently reviewed, contact details for their record keeping.

Delete my account

1. User clicks button to delete account
  2. A confirmation dialog is shown
  3. User confirms the desire to delete their account
  4. A form allowing the end user to the review, and update if required, the contact information that needs to be archived.
    • The form should make clear this is a legal tax requirements and link to the Atlassian privacy policy.
  5. User submits form
  6. Confirmation of account deletion is shown.

The entire process needs to a smooth as possible, with the least amount of typing, clicking to other areas of your product and identity websites as possible.  

The current system, still can see the end user in a loop, without a deleted nor deactivated account, being pressurised to provide alternative contact details.  As this can be a circular request, the end user frustration is very high.  

Hopefully this can be addressed in the user interface soon, to reduce support requests and improve user satisfaction. 

I hope this possible explanation for the loop will help another frustrated end user.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2021

The current process is already mostly that, in fact it is:

• User clicks button to delete account
  • If there are no systems wholly owned by the account
    • User is asked if they are sure, and warned about how long it might take to roll through all the systems, and the loss of access to systems
  • If they do own any systems
    • A message is given to the user telling them what they have to do to hand over or remove systems before, with a link to the place where you can do it
    • You then have to remember to loop back to try the delete again

The second is not suitable for doing as a form, because there may be multiple variable questions to be asked and the work needs to be done in another system.  That system has the links to the documentation on this, including the agreement you signed up for when you got the account.

I'd say the wording is not great, and the linking certainly could be better - "visit my.atlassian.com" should be a direct link to the page that lists all the systems you are responsible for for example.

I'm afraid that process is already as smooth as it can be.  There are no loops or demands for alternative contact details, there are a set of questions about handing over the responsibilities you agreed to over to others.

The user frustration may well be high, but it's misdirected - the site could be better, but you can't get away from the main problem being people not understanding what they signed up for.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I think the frustration relates to idea that the "system" should be handed to another party. 

If the "end user" is trying to stop using your product and there is no one else to pass the "system" onto nor do they wish to continue to ever user it again, who do you propose they now nominate?

For instance a research project ends or a company goes bankrupt, which active user account do you anticipate should be nominated to be linked to the account indefinitely?   

I think the notion of active online user accounts and product record keeping for archive tax purposes may be being blurred here.   

As at this point I think needing an active user to be associated with archive records is where the disconnect happens.

Thanks anyway.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2021

Yes, I see that, but the frustration is mis-directed.  People are really frustrated because they have not read or understood what they agreed to.

>If the "end user" is trying to stop using your product and there is no one else to pass the "system" onto nor do they wish to continue to ever user it again, who do you propose they now nominate?

As above - delete the system (by unsubscribing, or cancelling the licence).

>For instance a research project ends

A reasearch project would probably not want to destroy all its data, it would archive or replicate what it wants to keep, or just hand it wholesale to someone else.  Then delete as above.

>or a company goes bankrupt, which active user account do you anticipate should be nominated to be linked to the account indefinitely?   

The receivers

There's no blurring of accounts and products here.  An account is what is recorded as owning a system.  Just because the account is also possibly how you access the same system doesn't blur anything.  Have a think about how many things your Google, Facebook, etc etc etc accounts own...

There is no disconnect, there is a legal requirement to have an owner for an active system.  That ownership is done via an Atlassian account, and the person that account belongs to was informed of this structure when they signed up (or for the older of us, when we were moved over to Atlassian accounts)

Thanks for the added explanation of how your systems work.

I think we have come to the source of a misunderstanding. With regards to your reply:

"As above - delete the system (by unsubscribing, or cancelling the licence)"

Maybe you have an option normal users cannot see, that allows you to delete the system or cancel a license.

If you could point to where you can cancel a "Bitbucket licence" it would be most helpful.  At this point I can only downgrade to a free account not cancel the license.  

Unfortunately, when you try to do this in Bitbucket, you are sent to Atlassian and then you are back going around.

Nor can I see how to manage this from the Atlassian product page.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2021

Hang on a sec - "your systems" - I want to point out that I'm not an Atlassian, just another community member like yourself on the most part (I also happen to work for an Atlassian partner, but that still means I work outside Atlassian)

When I go to my.atlassian.com and list the Cloud systems I've got (with my community account, not my Adaptavist one), there's a delete option for every Cloud system I own, including Bi

For server, there is no delete, but Server licences are pre-paid, and hence need to know who owns them until they expire, so handover is the only real option (although you can archive them, that may let you delete - I have not tried that)

With that account, I am a "normal user".

Thanks for sharing the URL you have that shows options to cancel licenses.

Unfortunately on the same URL, there is no option to cancel the Bitbucket license for the account I mentioned.  Hence the loop.  No option to delete a license which then prevents the deletion of the user account.

Thanks for being a great community member/leader.

I have a separate support query to resolve the issue.

0 votes
Ahmed Salman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 12, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  You can see people are frustrated but you are trying to make it look like their fault. Delete account simply means delete. All above cases are trial users and would like to delete these trials accounts and the issue seems to be linked to the billing owner. could you please open internal case to fix this and share status here. thanks! 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2021

At no point have I said it is the end-users "fault".

All the explanations here are, well, explanations.  It is not my fault that people do not understand what they are doing.

There is nothing to "fix" here.  The delete process lets people delete their accounts, but only after they've handed over things that the account is responsible for to others, or killed those off.  It would be irresponsible (and generally, illegal) to not do that.

If you could explain what you would like changed in the process of deletion, please do raise it with Atlassian.  (Whatever you come up with will need to be able to handle the legal side of responsibilities that people contracted for)

0 votes
Satana Charuwichitratana
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 9, 2020

Deleting account should be simple. I don't know why the system make it hard for users. I project has no users, it should automatically detected as abandon project and remove itself.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2020

It really is not hard.  Log in, go to profile, click "delete" and "confirm".

If you are stuck, you need to tell us more about what you are seeing.

Like Andrew Ovcharenko likes this
0 votes
ace ace
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 3, 2019

Please help me, i can't delete my account

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2019

As above.  Go to your account, then settings, and click delete.

If that does not give you an "account deleted" message, you will need to deal with the error message it gives you.  If you get an unexpected response and want our help with it, you need to tell us what the error(s) are.

ace ace
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 5, 2019

Captureff.JPG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2019

You need to do what the error message tells you.  By "fix" it means make someone else the primary billing contact and technical contact on all the products you have.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2022

That would be fine. 

But I'll need your credit card details first, so that I can pay for all the services you have agreed to pay for.

(Edit) - this post looks a bit odd now, it was made in response to a handful of posts from someone who was refusing to read the previous conversation, and suggested transferring their systems to my ownership.

Like Matt Doar likes this
0 votes

Atlassian snip.PNGHere is the cursed interface I get.

I don't see the word SYSTEMS anywhere I clicked on the > to open the top drop down menu. The only live link takes me to yet another confusing interface for something called Jira.

In plain English and using terms displayed on this interface, how do I get rid of this account?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events