Import into Custom Fields for Next-Gen Projects

Cameron Thom October 9, 2019

Compared to standard projects, next-gen projects seem to have a limited ability to import into custom fields. Is this the case or am I missing something?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2019

Hi Cameron,

Custom fields in next-gen are very limited, there are a lot of types that are not available, so if you are importing a CSV with custom fields not available, it won’t work.

Also, we have some bugs related to CSV import to next-gen, maybe you are facing one of them:

Related to the Parent ID field, currently, it’s not possible to import issues with a parent-child relationship:

Hope this helps!

If you have any other question, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Cameron Thom October 16, 2019

Hi @Angélica Luz 

Thanks for the clear, concise answer.

It seems the functionality in Next-Gen isn't meeting the need of the business and we should've stuck with standard projects. I'll raise this with our team.

Like # people like this
Deleted user November 4, 2019

Agree with @Cameron.

Next-Gen Projects have a SIGNIFICANTLY long way to go before they become generally useful. 

If you cannot perform something as simple as a CSV import when the field names (regardless of whether they are in-built or custom fields) from the CSV MATCH those field names of the Next-Gen project (and you try to MANUALLY map the values yourself), then this effectively becomes useless to anyone wanting to take advantage of a simpler approach proposed by Next-Gen projects. 

Importing only non-custom fields (which seems to be the case at the moment) is utterly unacceptable, IMO, as it stands right now.  

At the moment you can't even import simple TEXT (custom) field data...that isn't MAPPING, it's a simply copy/paste operation, which is what you'd be doing with the Summary/Description fields (which appears to be all that's even working at the moment).

Like # people like this
0 votes
Cameron Thom October 13, 2019

It appears somebody edited my title without my approval that incorrectly portrays the question I am asking. I have re-edited it.

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 15, 2019

Hi @Cameron Thom

I want to apologize for this inconvenient, it was a different community leader (not @Ollie Guan) that updated the title of this question. His intention was to make it more searchable through tags. The Nex-Gen part (which was in between square brackets) was removed and the nex-gen and nexgen tags were added instead. 

The token [Nex-Gen] in between square brackets was also something that could create issues for mailing lists of the community platform.

We are working on a better way to communicate such changes to avoid this friction. The community leader that updated the content didn't want to inform you about the change because that would require answering the question which would take your chances to get an answer to your inquiry.

I hope that clarifies why you noticed this change.

Cameron Thom October 15, 2019

I added the nextgen and next-gen tags myself. Assuming this isn't a feature currently and will have to wait for an enhancement based on a lack of response. Thanks!

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
October 16, 2019

Probably I misunderstood what the leader told me and the tags were already there. Anyway, the reason for that change was the one I shared.
By the way, I'm from Bamboo team. I'll raise this one for one of our Jira folks.

Cameron Thom October 16, 2019

Thanks Daniel.

Like Daniel Santos likes this
Larry September 11, 2020

It still is broken.

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2019
Cameron Thom October 10, 2019

Hi @Ollie Guan ,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the post you shared does not answer my question. I am comfortable importing via CSV and have already done so. The options in next-gen are extremely limited compared to standard and I can't import:
1. Custom Fields
2. Parent ID field continually bugs out

My primary concern is the first as the second can be manually once the issues are created by bulk assignment.

Like Deleted user likes this

Suggest an answer