JDBC Connection to MYSQL

Marc Hendryckx November 12, 2020

Dear all,

After reading mutli ticket on that seemlike very same issue, I could not fix mine ...

• DB : MySQL 8 (fully new and updated)
  • JDBC Connector : 8.0.22
  • Jira : atlassian-servicedesk-4.13.1-x64

Issue : Can connect my Jira fresh install to my mysql DB.

Error : You have specified a database that is not empty, please specify an empty database. If you want to upgrade an existing installation, please follow these instructions instead.

Fix attempt :

Use the version 5.7 of the connector : mysql-connector-java-5.1.49 (I tried to rename package/restart serive/..) > when I use this version the error switch to : Could not find driver with class name: com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver

Drop & recreate the DB (which was and is empty no table)

Any idea how to fix this and IF there is a fix maybe update the tutorial :)

Thanks a lot

Marc

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2020

Hi Marc,

if I understood all correctly this is about a completely new setup.

Most users recommend PostgreSQL as a backend - would there be a chance you give PostgreSQL a try instead of MySQL?
Looking at the past this DB works better together with Jira, best examples are those hassles you describe during setup.

If MySQL is a must, which could also be valid, probably another member can help.

A more general advise without any guarantee: in some cases it showed that the installation of Jira Core in the first step and THEN adding Service Desk made installation process go flawless - in case you want to check.

Cheers,
Daniel

Marc Hendryckx November 16, 2020

Hello,

Yeap a brand new install.

Well, mysql is more conventional for us as we mainly use it. 

I'm currently trying to install Postgre to give it a shot, but since it's "well" detail on atlassian tutorial/requirement, It should work with mysql 8 too :/

By install the Core first, it would mean that the JDBC is packed with the binaries of the core setup ?

PS : on a side question, I did check that SD has been replaced by service management, but i cannot find any binaries for it, SD and SM are the exactly the same tool with rebranding ?

Thanks a lot

Marc

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2020

No, the driver is not packed with Jira core either - but the installation package is somewhat more "compact".
Sometimes this helps to avoid trouble during installation.

As for SD/SM: no, it does not mean only rebranding. It is communicated the changes for cloud users are bigger and the integrations more deeply. But...

citing Kate from the linked thread:

Jira Service Desk Server and Data Center will be changed to Jira Service Management in the next release.(By the end of November) The new change management and asset/configuration management features are coming soon to Data Center.

it means there are changes still to come through.

For the download offerings there was reported some work still to do - seems not everything is ready (yet). This is not dramatic though, meaning what is offered for download can be used (and will work) - the renaming/rebranding adaptions will be done step by step from what I have read.

Marc Hendryckx November 16, 2020

ok ok thanks for your return.

I've give up on MySql, I'm now using Postgresql which is working as expected "out of the box".

If someone ever knows the fix for MySQL it could be interesting for someone in my case but so far Jira doesn't support MySQL 8.

Marc Hendryckx November 17, 2020

@Daniel Ebers 

On last question on that matter, will the version 13 of psql works with the last version of jira (on the long run i mean since it's already working quite well beside a warning telling me that the version is not supported), since the version 11 now quite old ... i wanted to get rid of that :/

Thanks

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2020

There is a Suggestion open with Atlassian to support PostgreSQL 13. Feel free to watch & vote the issue to get notified when things change in this matter:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-71709

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events