Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We’re removing Jira’s dot menu to make way for a new and improved command palette

Hi Jira Community,

Starting 19 August, we’ll be removing the dot menu in Jira and replacing it with the new and improved command palette.

What is the command palette?

The command palette is a keyboard-first feature that allows you to search for your work in Jira, update your issues, manage admin and project settings, and more. It’s already available for use within Jira.

To get started with the command palette:

1. Open the command palette.

1. If you’re a Mac user, press command + K to open the command palette.

2. If you’re a Windows user, press Ctrl + K to open the command palette.

2. Search for commands in the search bar or use a forward slash / to search for your work.

More about the command palette

Community post compressed option 2.gif

When and why is the dot menu being removed?

We’ll start removing the dot menu from August 19 2024. This will allow us to invest our efforts into the command palette and improve it based on your feedback. Unlike the command palette, the dot menu is constrained by its code, making it difficult to update. Furthermore, the dot menu is only available in parts of Jira while the command palette can accessed regardless of where you are in the product.

The command palette aligns with features already used by our customers in other applications and will provide more seamless and intuitive experience, not to mention a much quicker way to complete tasks.

Can I still do the same things with the command palette?

There are a few features that we haven’t brought over into the command palette yet, including:

• converting to issues and subtasks

• search criteria

• connecting your issues to a Slack channel

• actions related to Marketplace Apps

However, the command palette offers much more functionality than the dot menu. Depending on where you open the command palette in Jira, you can:

• complete actions on your issues, including linking issues

• update issue fields directly from the command palette, including:

• sprint

• labels

• due dates

• fix versions

• components

• search and navigate to your work, including issues, projects, boards

• access settings

• switch between light and dark themes

• create issues

• check notifications

• open keyboard shortcuts and help menus

This is just a snapshot of what can be achieved with command palette - so make sure you start exploring it as soon as you can!

More about updating issues with the command palette

What do I need to do?

If you’re an admin, we recommend notifying your organization about the dot menu removal in advance and preparing users to switch over to the command palette.

If you’re a user, we recommend you start exploring the command palette for a quicker way of completing your work!

Thanks from the Atlassian team

2 comments

Comment

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2024

Great stuff - thanks @Yousef Abusamak  - I really hope that once the dot shortcut is removed it is then readded back as per my suggestion comment on https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Command-Palette-Beta-Group/Exciting-Update-Issue-Actions-Now-Available-in-Jira-Command/ba-p/2748037 - it seems simpler to just press '.' then 'Ctrl + k' :)

Thank you though for this article. Love the consolidation of the 2 shortcuts

Like # people like this
Frank Hess July 18, 2024

I was just writing the same as Yatish - we are used to '.' and 'gg' please add those shortcuts to the command palette. 

Like Lars Maehlmann likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events