New navigation and Home are coming to Confluence Cloud

135 comments

Elaine H.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2020

@Jesse , there has been a slight delay. Your instance will receive the new top nav in the coming week. Thank you for your patience.

Like Jesse likes this
Elaine H.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2020

@Nicole , Could you provide a bit more details about what you meant by "public Confluence sites"  and "additional navigation"? Were you thinking the use case where a public Confluence site has a custom built top navigation already and the new top nav will stack on top of the existing one? Thank you.

Nicole March 2, 2020

Hi @Elaine H.: Our site is public and includes one space. Users are only visiting the site for information, they are not contributing or publishing content. Recent, spaces, people, apps, and create aren't relevant to them and it simply makes the page busier. I would like to have the ability to turn off certain things. The new navigation may be helpful in our private, server instance, but not the cloud instance.

Ryan Kapur March 2, 2020

Has this launched to certain segments already?

Just asking as I've noticed some major UI changes throughout confluence over the past months.

Zakhar Khrystych March 4, 2020

Sounds good!

Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2020

Hi @Elaine H. ,

We received this rollout today, and I've already received positive feedback!

One of our staff selected the no/opt out button this morning and is now asking when she will have the opportunity to opt-in (her selection was in error). Can you elaborate on what the period of time is for the opt-out, and if there's any way to opt back in sooner?

Thanks.

Darryl

Like Nancy Cohn likes this
Elaine H.
Atlassian Team
March 4, 2020

@Darryl St_ Pierre , once your Confluence site received the new navigation, your end users should be able to opt in and out freely during a period of a few weeks.

We have identified a bug that affects the ability of some users to receive the new navigation experience despite their attempt to opt in. Your user could be one of them.

Our team has been actively investigating and working on a fix. We have opened a ticket for anyone interested to track the status: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-69529. The ticket also explains a potential workaround for affected users while we are putting in place a proper solution.

Thank you for your patience.

Like Darryl St_ Pierre likes this
Debora Birbeck March 4, 2020

We have a custom 'home' page, so having users land there and then seeing a different 'home' page in the menu might be a bit confusing. I agree that it would be good to be able to see this in a test environment so we can see how it impacts our current layout and can mitigate any confusion to users before everyone sees it.

Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2020

Hi @Debora Birbeck ,

Our scenario is the same as yours, and I believe you will experience little to no disruption. I will try to share a “sanitized” screenshot or a clear description of what you’ll experience later today or early tomorrow. 

Darryl

Like Debora Birbeck likes this
Elaine H.
Atlassian Team
March 4, 2020

@Debora Birbeck , here's how the new navigation looks like with custom homepage and the new Home page:

New nav with custom site homepage.png

Clicking on the Confluence/site logo or the custom homepage item in top nav will take user to the custom homepage. This works in the same way as with the old side navigation. Clicking on Home takes them to the new Home experience that's more tailored for the individual. Hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

I'm working on setting up a demo site to help those of you who need to evaluate this change try out the new experience. I'll let you all know when it's up and running.

Thank you much for offering your help, @Darryl St_ Pierre !

Like # people like this
Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2020

Haha, forgot I wasn’t in the forums for a minute there @Elaine H.  :)

Scott Hoffman March 5, 2020

This looks like a great improvement. I always thought the existing navigation was a bit clunky. Excellent happy to see improvments!! 

Ruchira Parchur March 5, 2020

That's a massive improvement on the user experience part of the application. Would be good to collapse those bars and get a small-icon view and more actual space view.

Debora Birbeck March 5, 2020

Thanks for your responses @Elaine H. and @Darryl St_ Pierre 

That doesn't look too bad, though I actually quite  like the side nav, when collapsed it's very unobtrusive and provides a contrast to the editing ribbon. Having page real estate go to the top of the window is a nice change from the usual app or program.

I also think labelling something 'home' that doesn't go to the 'home' page isn't intuitive, but we've been using it as a team for less than a week so we'll make it work :)

Cheers

Deb

Julian Meindl March 8, 2020

For some reason new navigation does not turn on for me. Everyone else in the company seems to be fine... Anyone else have similar experience? Cheers, Big J

Elaine H.
Atlassian Team
March 8, 2020

@Julian Meindl , We have identified a bug that prevents some users from receiving the new navigation experience despite their attempt to opt in. Sounds like that may have happened to you.

Our team has been actively investigating and working on a fix. We have opened a ticket for anyone interested to track the status: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-69529. The ticket also explains a potential workaround for affected users while we are putting in place a proper solution.

Thank you for your patience.

Like Julian Meindl likes this
Julian Meindl March 11, 2020

Hi @Elaine H. - good news, New Navigation now works for me!

Elaine H.
Atlassian Team
March 11, 2020

@Julian Meindl , thank you for the heads up. We just pushed out a fix to the issue you experienced. Glad to know it's working for you now. Let us know how you like the new nav.

Like Ryan Gibbons likes this
hariel March 11, 2020

Looking forward for this!!

Ryan Gibbons March 17, 2020

Is there an expected timeline for Confluence/Jira connected instances? I'm working on a revamp for our entire company and would love to key off this change (most users dislike using the vertical navigation and thus haven't used the apps). I think this would greatly improve our change adoption, but I can't find anywhere that references a timeline.

chris March 17, 2020

God I hope you make this "opt in" rather than forcing it upon us like your editor change in Confluence Cloud.

That said, your article says my site should have been done in 2019 but - probably thankfully - I haven't seen the change yet.

Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 23, 2020

I really like new navigation as shown in screenshot. However, our Confluence instance is still using old nav. How do I change to this improved version?

Ryan Gibbons March 23, 2020

@Elaine H.any updates?

megan.milan April 8, 2020

Hi there - similar to Brad's question above, I was wondering if I could turn off the new navigation after we turn it on. I would like to have this flexibility in case the rest of the company doesn't like the new navigation. 

Fabio Benvenuto Ramos April 9, 2020

Just waiting!!! It will be great.

Like Michele Mangili likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events