New navigation and Home are coming to Confluence Cloud

135 comments

Ruth Carpio
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 28, 2020

Hi,

Great work! I can't wait to apply this new navigation in our instance.

May I ask when is this new navigation be applied in JIRA cloud? If it is already existing, how would the admins apply this changes?

Thanks

Like # people like this
Udaiyakumar Sree
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 29, 2020

Seems a lot of improvement.. Kudos team.

Like Dawn MacDermid likes this
Gaetano Giunta April 29, 2020

One more user here who welcomes the return of top-level navigation bar with old-school menus.

If I might stress one usability concern, it is to clearly separate actions which belong to 'current view/item' 'current project',  and 'all projects' to different places in the UI.

This principle is f.e. badly broken in the current UI of Confluence, where the '+' icon to add-a-subpage-here is in the left-nav column, miles away from the pencil icon for edit-current-page in the top-nav bar. Luckily it seems that have been fixed in the new nav :-)

Tom Loden April 29, 2020

Yuk. You've ruined the code macro.

delmario
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2020

Looking forward to using the new look!

Vladyslav Darmenko April 29, 2020

- Do you know how Attlassian calls old horizontal navigation? 

- How? 

- New navigation! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXDo4dL7SU

Like Vitaly Kuzmich likes this
Bader_Aldirayee
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 29, 2020

thank you, 

did you add RTL ? or still ? as we are waiting sine long time 

Deleted user April 30, 2020

As an admin is there any way to try the new interface before rolling this out to all users?

Zooey_Purdy May 1, 2020

Is there a way to use custom themes to target the new navigation? Seems like the legacy UI locations (ie: system.header/left) aren't working.

Onno Cleijpool May 2, 2020

looks great, can't wait for the improvements to work with

Jon R May 4, 2020

Please prioritising restoring all the missing editor features, this is a priority for me over everything else.

Melissa Hiramatsu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 4, 2020

I second Jon_R.  I want the missing editor features restored. Thanks

Jon_Shupe
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 4, 2020

Will "announcements" and the new "Spaces" be available as Macros? The current "Spaces" macro is broken for categories, and does not allow the user to choose between "all" or "favorites" which is a request from our users.

Masood V H
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 4, 2020

Great improvement!

Elaine H.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 4, 2020

Glad that you liked the new "old" top menu.

>Last thing Atlassian needs to fix is the ability to place 2 images next to each other like before

You were referring to bringing this back to the editor, right? If so, one way you can do so now is to use /layout to add a multi-column layout block and place each image in a separate column. If this workaround doesn't meet your need, I'd be happy to share your feedback with my colleagues working on the Confluence editing experience.

Elaine H.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 4, 2020

>We still wait on this update? 
>We also like to have the TOP Navigation bar in our Atlassian products.
>Is there something our admins need to do? 

>I can't see the option to turn on new nav under my profile :( 

If you have recently seen an in-product notice about upcoming new nav release, your Confluence site will receive the new experience in the next couple of days.

• When the time comes, once in Confluence, every user on your site will see a dialog to select the navigation experience they want to proceed with.
  • The option to turn on/off the new nav under user profile menu is for later if you change your mind.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Elaine H.
Atlassian Team
May 4, 2020

>If its already been rolled out to 65% of users, why not push it out now to the remaining 35%?

We'll be rolling out to 95% of Confluence customers in total later this week.

The rest are customers who may need more time to prepare given the large number of Confluence users in their organization and/or other change management complexity. We expect to roll out to all customers by the end of May.

Elaine H.
Atlassian Team
May 4, 2020

>The new navigation looks more comfortable to use. Wondering if Atlassian is also investing effort into performance of pages with large tables or lots of jira reports embedded?

We hope it is more comfortable to use. Once you try the new navigation, we hope that it delivers the promise to help you find what you need in Confluence more easily. We look forward to your feedback.

Performance and scalability has been a focus area for Confluence, besides editor, navigation, and other UI/UX changes you've seen. We make sure good performance for new features we release and identify legacy areas to improve too. Curious to know, how would you rate the current performance of pages with large tables or lots of Jira reports embedded (on a 1-10 scale; 10 being the best and 1 the worst)?

Elaine H.
Atlassian Team
May 4, 2020

>Great work! I can't wait to apply this new navigation in our instance.
>May I ask when is this new navigation be applied in JIRA cloud? If it is already existing, how would the admins apply this changes?

Thank you, Ruth. The new navigation will be available to your organization's Confluence and Jira at the same time in the next couple of days.

There's no action required from admins. After it's rolled out to your site, once in Confluence, every user of yours will see a dialog to select the navigation experience they want to proceed with.

Please let me know if you have any further question. Thank you.

Christian_Moller
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 4, 2020

Looks nice, can't wait to test this out. 

Elaine H.
Atlassian Team
May 4, 2020
>Will "announcements" and the new "Spaces" be available as Macros? The current "Spaces" macro is broken for categories, and does not allow the user to choose between "all" or "favorites" which is a request from our users.
That's a great idea, Jon. We haven't thought about making these as macros. We are exploring ways to make them more modular for our 12-18 month roadmap.
Curious to know, what do you see as the major benefit of making them as macros? Thank you.
Jon_Shupe
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 5, 2020

The benefit is so we can make pages that are more tailored to non-creating/editing consumers of Confluence. Probably only a quarter of our employees create content, but the rest consume it, including sales, marketing, product managers, business planning, etc. 

So the ability to create pages that those teams can see and consume the spaces and information pertinent to their jobs is critical. They have little use for the recently updated or my work type of information that the creators use. I know the aim of putting the recently updated info in front of all users is to encourage collaboration, but the reality is that many users simply need to quickly access some details and get on with their job.

I think such access will help spread Confluence outside the narrow space of technical documentation.

Dawn MacDermid May 6, 2020

Just got this update today - love the look of it

John Tolle May 6, 2020

Extremely nitpicky thing (because of my graphic designer roots): On a higher resolution (high density) display or even on a standard 1080p HD display when you zoomed in (usually using Ctrl-+ in most browsers), the Home navigation item is about a pixel lower than the rest of the navigation items.  I added a horizontal red line to illustrate:

Confluence - Delete Me.png

Elaine H.
Atlassian Team
May 6, 2020

@Jon R 

> Please prioritising restoring all the missing editor features, this is a priority for me over everything else.

> I second Jon_R.  I want the missing editor features restored. Thanks

Jon, Melissa, and others who care deeply about editor features,

We hear you. Editor has been a top priority for Confluence. For the latest editor product plan, please check out https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/confluence-cloud-editor-roadmap/.

In the spirit of Open Company, in the last 2-3 years, we've heard from our customers loud and clear that navigation had been a major friction for them. The new navigation (some call it the new "old" navigation) and Home experience is meant to make it easier for all users, creators or consumers of content, to find what they need in Confluence.

Hope this helps. Thank you!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events