Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Images show "Preview unavailable" for no apparent reason (was working yesterday)

YG June 29, 2022

Hello,

For some reason several of my pages now display "Preview unavailable" for plain ordinary PNG files. They were showing up on the page as a preview yesterday.

Example:

kevin@Kevin-MacBook-Pro Downloads % file "Tech Diagram - Frontend.drawio (15).png"

PNG image data, 16384 x 13188, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced

kevin@Kevin-MacBook-Pro Downloads % du -hs "Tech Diagram - Frontend.drawio (15).png"

7.0M - Tech Diagram - Frontend.drawio (15).png

75 answers

3 votes
Billy Macrae January 10, 2023

Hi, I can report that we are also experiencing the same issue.

If we could get a fix for this ASAP this would be super helpful. We have a workaround but long term this really needs to be fixed or we may need to look for an alternative.

Thanks,

Billy Macrae

2 votes
Gor Kroyan July 11, 2023

+1 to the issue where media files can not be displayed. A bit frustrating because my stories became very boring without media support. If you do not fix this next week, i will start drinking cola and eat Snickers and ruin my help because of the stress. 🤞

1 vote
Fouad
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 21, 2023

Never fixed in two years ? I have the same issue.

1 vote
Aaron Appelhans December 20, 2023

I´m facing this issue with integrated sites from our spaces in our organization. Did anyone of Atlassian at least react to this??

image.png

1 vote
Megan Danis September 15, 2023

We opened a ticket with the support team ! I'll get back here with an answer asap :)

1 vote
Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2023

Thanks, I'll flag this with the Confluence team

1 vote
Pierre Lonchampt January 11, 2023

Same here, bug is both on Confluence and Jira :(

2023-01-12_17-40.png2023-01-12_17-40_1.png

0 votes
Gabrijel Vetrih
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 9, 2024

Hi! It's started happening on our side as well. Some of the images/gifs are not available, and they are shown as "Preview unavailable." Refreshing the site works, and the content does load after that, but I cannot imagine doing it for every single Confluence page I try to access. 

0 votes
David Rahmel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 19, 2024

This problem was driving me nuts. Here is the work around that worked for me. 

The issue for me seems to be with Jira's Create new Ticket dialog overlay. Any time I try to insert images in I get a 'Preview Unavailable'. Doesn't matter if it is from SnagIt or if I try to upload and insert a jpg. If there are Preview unavailable images, the system will not let you submit the ticket so you have to trash them.

However, if I create the ticket text only. I can then go back in and edit it. Then, I can paste images without issue.

Hope this helps someone else.

PreviewUnavailable.jpg

0 votes
Deanna Hardy March 5, 2024

We had a user with a weird issue like this out of the blue today.  Control-F5 seemed to work to pull the full page again and then she was fine.  No idea what changed to cause something like that and so far just one user I've heard about.  

0 votes
Heike Neumann February 27, 2024

Hello,

I have the same issue with a tiff image. Pdf-file and jpg-image shows preview but tiff-image shows a error message:

2024-02-27 16_56_10-Bilder - Heike Neumann - Communardo Intranet Wiki – Mozilla Firefox.png

Has anyone found a way to display the file?

Thanks an have a nice day
Heike

0 votes
Nick Harmer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 20, 2024

I have been able to work around this issue by downloading the images to a local file, then reuploading them through the image macro. This is very painful for pages with multiple images. 

0 votes
Sophie Lawson February 7, 2024

Any updates on this?

An incredibly frustrating problem for myself and our clients having to re-save images in JIRA!

0 votes
MS January 22, 2024

I have had this issue recently, and I think it seems that on each page where the image previews were broken, there was at least one line with some bold text right before an image. I edited the page and put some plain text after the bold text and before the image, and the image previews displayed again. Maybe I am imagining all of this, but I will keep trying this and report back if it works. :-)

0 votes
Boyd Hong January 15, 2024

2024 now. Any updates? or please let me know where i can upvote this reported issue so Product can start prioritizing the case. 

0 votes
randy_wang6005
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 26, 2023

I experienced the same issue when working with JIRA Software as well, attached image shown as "preview unavailable". However, what I found interesting is the issue only occurs when I tried to attach the image during the issue creation period of time. I can upload the same image without any issue after the issue got created. 

I feel there is some code not rendered properly upon the initial load of the web page. 

0 votes
Aaron Appelhans December 20, 2023

@Megan Danis could you please post the ticket key here so that we can vote for the issue?

0 votes
erik.unangst November 17, 2023

We are having this issue as well. I'm noticing that it happens when I Copy a Confluence Cloud Page. The images all preview fine on the new Copy of the page, but when I navigate back to the original page that I copied, some of the images on that page now display the "Preview Unavailable".

As an aside, this has also happened to me in Jira Cloud, when cloning a Jira issue by using the Deep Clone App. The newly cloned issue displayed the images fine, but the original that was cloned started showing the "Preview Unavailable" error.

0 votes
Thomas M_ Lee October 23, 2023

Hey David. I don’t use Figma. I’m downloading annotated screenshots from Zight. My image files are relatively small jpgs (350 KB or so). I have 100+ images in my documentation, and to me it looks like the files are all gone as every page shows no file associated with it. I can add a new image and it shows up just fine. But do I want to do that over 100 times and just have the same thing happen again? Or do I want to look for an alternate platform for my documentation?

0 votes
David Hopper October 23, 2023

I had some success with making file sizes smaller, see the copy and paste(resize)x 2" hack listed above. might be useful, I'm curious if this can work for others. 

0 votes
Thomas M_ Lee October 20, 2023

Looks like I’m joining others who have experienced the image “preview unavailable” issue. This is the case with all of our PNG and GIF files. We have 1 JPG visible. 90% of the pages with these images are over 1 year old and have been working fine. The problem is consistent on Mac Safari and Chrome and on iPad Safari and Chrome. Is there any hope of getting help on this? From reading this thread it seems to be a persistent issue. Right now all of our documentation, which heavily relies on screenshots, is nearly useless.  🙁

0 votes
David Hopper September 29, 2023

I found a work around, basically reduce the file size, by copying as png, copy that copy, if needed scale down = smaller file size.  I left a comment on 09/25 below. worked for me might work for you. 

0 votes
marketruler September 29, 2023

I am having this issue with a customer as well on Chrome on Windows.

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 1.19.02 PM.png

Appears to still not be fixed. 

0 votes
David Hopper September 25, 2023

I found a hack! lets see if it holds up though.

Assumption: Jira does not like "big" image files. when Jira gets a big image that goes beyond a certain threshold the preview will not be available. 

Solution: Reduce the image file size.

a) So if you work in Figma like I do, and select copy image as png it can produce a fairly large image file. 

b) its a two step process in Figma. 

1) Select (like normal) and convert to PNG

2) Paste that PNG into the same figma file, (it should be much smaller file size now) if not resize it to. smaller size. 
3) The important step!, copy "the copy" as a PNG. The file now has a MUCH smaller size. 
4) Paste the "PNG copy of a PNG copy" into Jira.   

This seemed to work for me. I'd be curious what others experience when trying this method. 

0 votes
Karim September 22, 2023

Same here

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events