Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing our new packaging model for Jira Cloud Automation

451 comments

Julia Foden December 7, 2023

Very good @Adam England . I had been thinking something similar based on

"Multi-project rules are billed to the product with the highest limit* among products in the rule scope."

ie create a dummy JSW project with no issues, no users, no access, and share all the JSM rules with that dummy project.

Like • Adam England likes this
Slava Gefen December 7, 2023

"Global rules will be billed to the product with the highest automation limit."

If you don't have Jira Software Premium you could purchase licenses which will bump your automation up by 1000 per user.  10 licenses will give you 10,000, etc., depending on your billing period and situation.

Wow @Adam England , such a perfect trick 🔥👏

WDYT, will it work if we buy Premium Jira Work Management?
Capture.PNG

It means we can buy 10K more executions per month (120K in total) for $83.33, right?

Adam England December 7, 2023

@Slava Gefen 

Looks that way! I've been on Atlassian Support ping pong for the last month or so and just got confirmation today.  Tested it out, and it's pulling from my "Software" usage pool.

fzmFSuLwoM.png

Like • Slava Gefen likes this
KC Wong December 7, 2023

The article said "The new packaging model brings a simpler, more consistent way to measure Automation usage."

Now users have to juggle Jira and JSM licenses to find the optimal usage. And then perform code changes to move the automation rules around and add project conditions.

So much for "simple, more consistent". 

Like • # people like this
Andrew B December 7, 2023

@KC Wong I think you might be miss-reading the context here ;-) - from Atlassian's point of view it is much simpler and consistent - CUSTOMERS PAY MORE, CONSISTENTLY! 

But of course you are right, now we (the already paying customers) are investing more time ( =$ ) to try and figure out ways to get around (or exit) the problem Atlassian have created.  We exited confluence already.  ITSM is next. 

By the way, I heard back from Atlassian support today - the Alerts at 90% usage that were sent to the whole user base were sent in error and that "feature" has been turned off now.   Just another piece not tested properly in the dash for cash.

Slava Gefen December 8, 2023

Hey @Adam England 

I've just tested it, and something is wrong:

1. I've got Jira Work Management Premium.

2. I've set the global rule "Issue was deleted":

Capture2.PNG

3. I've deleted 16 issues:

Capture3.PNG

4. And it's counted towards Jira Software:

Capture3a.PNG

Do you know what's wrong? (I mean I understand that this whole new model is wrong, but anyway)

Though indeed I see in the documentation:

Global rules will be billed to the product with the highest automation limit.

Thanks in advance
Slava

Rune Rasmussen December 8, 2023

@Slava Gefen 

As I understand it, you'll need to actually make an action in the product you want the automation to count towards.

So your automation would need to actually perform an action in a Jira Work Management issue, like clear the value of a field and then set it again.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2023

Hi @Slava Gefen , were all deleted issues associated with JWM projects? If they were JSW I would expect JSW used to be incremented. Can you share the documentation link where it describes the provided global rule details?

@Rune Rasmussen  As I understand it, you'll need to actually make an action in the product you want the automation to count towards.

But it's not said here 👇

Rules.PNG

So your automation would need to actually perform an action in a Jira Work Management issue, like clear the value of a field and then set it again.

Now I've got it all figured out đź’Ž
After I added a comment action that leaves a comment in another project (not necessary it's JWM project) it's started to count towards Premium product now:

Multiple Projects.PNG

Premium.PNG

So, it means it's not enough for a rule to be Global, it actually should be started and performed in more than one project, in other words it should be a run with Multiple projects scope.

Like • Inna S likes this

Hi @Slava Gefen , were all deleted issues associated with JWM projects? If they were JSW I would expect JSW used to be incremented.

Hey @Jack Brickey you right, just leaved a comment above đź‘Ť

Can you share the documentation link where it describes the provided global rule details?

Yep, it's here:
How is my usage calculated? | Cloud automation Cloud | Atlassian Support

Clément Faure December 8, 2023

It has come to this, 

Us, engineers, trying to engineer ways to keep using Atlassian, without paying triple plus a kidney :(

Adam England December 8, 2023

@Slava Gefen 

There's something not totally right with this whole thing, you're right.

Mine's set as Global with no reference to other projects and it runs as my highest tier product.  Wonder if it's got something to do with the billing, we're not getting limits yet but I'm trying to protect us from the inevitable sh*tstorm next year when we renew.

Kevin Robertson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 9, 2023

Got this email today, they really are taking the ****...

olk_14Z6UqUAzz.png

AndrewZ December 26, 2023

We are working on an alternative plugin for Jira automation. It will not have limitations such as "automation count" or "execution count limits."

It will take some time until we have all the functionality of the current Jira Automations, but we are actively adding new features. You may use our plugin for the "most commonly used automation scenarios," so you will not need to upgrade to premium.

We plan to release the preview version in January and the public beta in April 2024.

We will really appreciate if you will send us your automations scenarios - it will help us to set priorities for the new features.

https://go.lucent.services/go/google-forms/jira-automations-plugin

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2023

@AndrewZ , what company are you associated with? Will this be submitted to the Marketplace for consideration? What is the anticipated timing of the first release? For pricing, if not based on the number of automations will it simply be unlimited per Jira user or something different? Before I would consider such an alternative I would want to ensure the long term viability of the company including support. Regarding your request for input I encourage you to scour the Community posts as there is a great deal of data here.

AndrewZ December 27, 2023

what company are you associated with?

https://lucent.services/
We built a couple Jira plugins for hackathons - https://devpost.com/zhil so we have required experience

Will this be submitted to the Marketplace for consideration? 

Yes, definitely

What is the anticipated timing of the first release?

We plan to release preview version in January 2024 (it will be available via Upload APP functionality for beta testers)

And release marketplace version in April 2024

For pricing, if not based on the number of automations will it simply be unlimited per Jira user or something different?

From technical point of view - hardware is very cheap nowadays.

Based on our current prototype - even basic $10 per month instance could easily do 1 action per second.  it will be 86k actions per day and 2.5M actions per month. 

So, at this point - I dont see any real reasons why should we put some noticable limitations.

But, from practical point of view - I woudn't use word "unlimited". Because resources are always limited and there is no "really unlimited" things in our world. 

I mean, in theory some outsourcing company with 10 users instance may use Jira for automated tracking of events for their client with super heavy traffic (like sentry.io replacement?) and send hundreds of thousands events daily.

Our system allow to split workers between multiple instances. Also Automations actions may be postponed.

So, if some client will start creating too heavy load - we will move that client to "dedicated worker" instance. And automations for that client may start working more slowly (but they will not be rejected/hard bounced/lost etc)

In other words, in some edge cases we reserve right to limit hardware resources for some clients without limiting their automations count/automations actions.

Again, at this point I dont see any real reasons why should we do it and even "limited resources" would be enough for millions of automation actions per month even for "10 users Jira instance" pricing.

Before I would consider such an alternative I would want to ensure the long term viability of the company including support. 

yes, thats totally understandable. It would be great to see you in our clients list! :)

Regarding your request for input I encourage you to scour the Community posts as there is a great deal of data here.

thanks, but there are too much information/requests in the Community posts. At this point we are going to focus on requests from our (future) clients.

First versions of our plugin will not be able to compete with all functionality of the built-in automations.

BUT, you may use our plugin for "automations with most actions" instead of upgrading for premium plan.

In other words, if you want to remove most heavy automations from built-in automations - please contact us and we will make sure, that your automation scenarios will be covered in first versions. https://go.lucent.services/go/google-forms/jira-automations-plugin

Tyler Woolstenhulme January 30, 2024

Expanding on AndrewZ’s earlier comment, several apps in the marketplace already provide unlimited executions. Among them, the best-selling automation apps that are cloud-fortified and backed by Appfire’s enterprise-level support team are:

• JSU (similar to Jira automation) offers intuitive, point-and-click workflow automations
  • JMWE provides additional flexibility by combining a user-friendly interface with low-code scripting
  • Power Scripts automates the most advanced scenarios with simple scripting

To learn more about comparing built-in automation and third-party automation apps, you might find this article helpful. I am a Solutions Adivsor for Appfire.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2024

Hi @Tyler Woolstenhulme 

Just checking: what is your relationship to the vendor and the products you are recommending?

If a member of that vendor's team, please note when recommending a marketplace vendor product ensure you disclose your affiliation to that vendor in your post wording. For more information about this, please see:

Atlassian Community online guidelines | Marketplace + Solution Partners | App Central

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/App-Central/Atlassian-Community-online-guidelines-Marketplace-Solution/ba-p/689723

Kind regards,
Bill

Like • Tyler Woolstenhulme likes this
Tyler Woolstenhulme January 30, 2024

@Bill Sheboy - Thanks Bill, updated :)  

Sam Hepworth February 4, 2024

@Tyler Woolstenhulme Does Power Scripts/SIL support Jira Product Discovery? I cannot find any mention of JPD in your documentation...

Like • Leonardo Souza likes this
Tyler Woolstenhulme February 5, 2024

@Sam Hepworth - Our product team is currently reviewing potential use cases and applications for JPD and we'd invite you're input if you'd like to share.  Submit a ticket here (Request a feature), mention me, and I will set up a conversation. 

Peter Fjelsten February 5, 2024

@Tyler Woolstenhulme - the problem with these are that they run on transitions and not on other actions like time registration

Tyler Woolstenhulme February 9, 2024

Hi @Peter Fjelsten

If you are referring to my comment above listing the apps, while a good deal of the app functionality works incredibly well within workflow transitions, Power Scripts and JMWE, for example, allow users to build automations outside of transitions including automations that run based on actions like time registration. Do let me know if you have questions.

Chris Rogers February 10, 2024

@Tyler Woolstenhulme has reliability in the cloud been improved recently for Power Scripts?  I've been a proponent and huge fan of Power Scripts for Server/DC for years but every time I give it another spin in the cloud, I have nothing but difficulty which makes it hard to recommend to my clients (I work for an Atlassian solution partner) in response to the automation changes.

Tyler Woolstenhulme February 14, 2024

Hi @Chris Rogers . Thank you for your feedback. We know there were some challenges with the Cloud version, which is why our development team spent the past few months enhancing the performance and overall stability of Power Scripts Cloud (released earlier this year). I encourage you to give it another shot.

And if you encounter any issues, submit a ticket here, mention me, and I will set up a conversation.

Comment

AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events