Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on Collaborator Limit for Free Trello Workspaces

319 comments

Fernando Manzano March 14, 2024

I've been reading the provided information about the pricing and the remarks of this thread during a while, and I find it extremely complicated. I don't know what to do and I'm starting to think about migrating to an alternative solution... 

That's my situation. I have three workspaces:

1st: 1 dashboard with 49 users (guests) and 1 member (my user)
2nd: 2 dashboards with 25 users (guests) and 1 member (my user)
3rd: 1 dashboard with 14 users (guests) and 1 member (my user)

These users (guests) belong to multiple institutions from different countries, so paying for licenses for all of them is not possible.

Thank you very much for your help.

All the best,

Fer

I've split the 2nd workspace into 2 workspaces with 1 dashboard each one.

So now, I have 4 workspaces, with 1 dashboard each one. 

I don't know if it helps or not.

AM March 14, 2024

What is the difference between guests and collaborators?  If I have a workspace with 45 collaborators what are my options?  

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2024

Hi @AM 

There are no differences.  If someone is in your workspace as a member or guest, they are a collaborator...

The ONLY member type NOT count towards the quota will be someone who have requested to join a board or workspace but have not been accepted 

E.g. Join Requests (1) below has not counted towards the Collaborator limit

The only number that matters is this one:

Collaborators.gif

Like Gaurav Kataria likes this

@Dreamsuite Mike and then, in the case you show in the picture, the 24 collaborators need a standard account?

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2024

This is a premium workspace with 24 collaborators in it.  It consists of 8 workspace members and 16 single-board guests.  The total cost is $960/year or $80/month...

The point of the picture really is that Trello counts your collaborators for you so you don't have to...

Angel Garcia Abellan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 15, 2024

Anyone able to help here? 

I have 1 free workspace, with a total of 20 members and 4 boards. Our requirements are:

• 8 admins need access to all boards
  • 12 members need access to 1 board (and be able to edit it), and access to a second board (view only).

Any suggestions as to how we can remain on the free plan or if it is even possible with our needs?

We have also tried to apply for Non-Profit status but got rejected. 

Fernando Manzano March 15, 2024

@Dreamsuite Mike @Erika Storli to be honest, I'm thinking about migrating to a different tool even if I have to pay. My only concern is about understanding how it works...

There are collaborators = members of the workspace + guests

A user is considered "guest" when it acceses only one dashboard within a workspace. And it seems that a guest can use the dashboard normally (creating cards, comments, move cards...), right?

So, in my case, I have 4 workspaces:

TechWS.png

MICWS.png

PdEWS.png 

MIC2WS.png 

Please, Could you confirm that I only need one account for me and that the other "guests" can continue working as always?

All the best,

Fer

Caity
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2024

@Darren Sayer Either Trello Standard or Trello Premium could work: trello.com/pricing

As either upgrade would be per-Workspace, you'd first need to consolidate your boards into a single Workspace so that you don't have to upgrade each one separately and pay for each user multiple times. We have more information on how to move boards from one Workspace to another here: https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/moving-a-board-to-a-different-workspace/

Trello Standard has the lowest price of any of our paid tiers, but Trello Premium has collections, which give you more options for organizing your boards. Since you've previously been organizing your boards into multiple Workspaces, that might be a good option for your team.

Caity
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2024
Like Sarah Stokes likes this
Caity
Atlassian Team
March 15, 2024

@Adam Grapes After you upgrade, you'll be able to enter any email address as a billing contact in your Workspace Billing page. The very first invoice won't be sent to that address, but you can download all of your invoices from that page, so you would be able to send the invoice to that person.

Like # people like this
Caity
Atlassian Team
March 15, 2024

@Harriet S I would recommend the Standard plan, although, with any of our paid plans, if those 70 collaborators are guests of the Workspace and not members, and if they're only on a single board within the Workspace, they won't count toward your bill.

Caity
Atlassian Team
March 15, 2024

@Dina Smith Trello only offers multi-Workspace management in the Enterprise plan. However, a free option you might consider is claiming your organization's domain with Atlassian, so that you can manage all of the Atlassian accounts on that domain: https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/verify-a-domain-to-manage-accounts/

That wouldn't give you control over the boards and Workspaces directly, but it would allow you to easily see who all is using Trello on the domain and would give you the ability to deactivate or delete the accounts for people who are no longer with your organization. If you deactivate or delete someone's Atlassian account, that will carry over to Trello.

Kori Sullivan March 15, 2024

This is very disappointing for those of us with a small business... to start charging your people out of the blue is really frustrating.  There are other revenue streams to look into instead of charging small businesses and nonprofits for using your technology.  $5 per month per person is very high and you gave us 1 month to find a solution... terrible customer service and you will see a sharp decline is users, killing any thoughts of ad revenue when advertisers see a decline in users.

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2024

@Kori Sullivan there aren't any ads in trello, so i don't think the ad revenue is a concern. I agree it's frustrating when you're used to something and then it changes, and this will definitely impact folks. But personally, when I use a software for free I always have a backup plan because, I expect that either 1) at some point i will lose features or need to pay for it, or 2) the software will go away entirely because it can't afford to keep operating. @Dreamsuite Mike made a great article comparing trello to the other alternatives and you can see how it stacks up with prices and features: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Trello-Collaborator-Limit-How-does-it-stack-up-against-the/ba-p/2635162

Evelyn
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 16, 2024

I use 2 Boards with 10 guets who also have access to this 2 boards. Do I have to pay $5 or $55 per month?

Michal Szymanski March 17, 2024

I have 8 members in my workspace and I still get this warning "This workspace will be at or over 10 collaborator limit".

Is it a bug?

image.png

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2024

Hi @Michal Szymanski 

It is not likely to be a bug, please can you go to the workspace members page and check the number of Collaborators shown there...

Please check this advice below:

If someone is in your workspace as a Workspace member or guest, they are a collaborator...

The ONLY member type NOT count towards the quota will be someone who have requested to join a board or workspace but have not been accepted 

E.g. Join Requests (1) below has not counted towards the Collaborator limit

The only number that matters is this one:

Collaborators.gif

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2024

@Fernando Manzano 

@Dreamsuite Mike @Erika Storli to be honest, I'm thinking about migrating to a different tool even if I have to pay. My only concern is about understanding how it works...

There are collaborators = members of the workspace + guests

A user is considered "guest" when it acceses only one dashboard within a workspace. And it seems that a guest can use the dashboard normally (creating cards, comments, move cards...), right?

I get that initial response and remember that although I am a Trello consultant and do love it

Note: I do not work for Atlassian and I am critical of their decisions when I need to be....

With that in mind, I am not that critical of this change because I see it as something necessary to ensure Trello, this incredibly popular and uniquely amazing piece of software has a long future...This is important for the entire ecosystem and its millions of users...

I have also worked with the majority of the alternatives and put together a summary of the differences between their free and paid packages.  Even after this new limit, Trello comes out as being one of the most generous solutions out there...

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Trello-Collaborator-Limit-How-does-it-stack-up-against-the/ba-p/2635162 

Regarding your screenshots, there are some things to remember:

1. Any subscription billing is done at a Workspace level.  This means if you have 4 workspaces, to upgrade to Trello Standard or Premium, would be done 4 times.  Licences are applied to the member, just counted based on members (and multi-board guests) in the workspace
    1. This means to keep 4 workspaces, you would be paying at least 4 x the subscription cost
    2. Standard example - 4 x $6/month = $24/month
  2. For the guests to be free, the must be Single Board Guests, this means the member can only be a guest on 1 board in a workspace.  If you have 4 workspaces, that same member can be on 1 board in each of the 4 workspaces...
  3. Also remember, all single board guests don't all have to be on the same board, they can be on any board in the workspace so long as they are on only 1 board....see below:
    Copy of Untitled Design (Desktop Wallpaper) (1).png
  4. If you pay for standard and all of your guests can be single board guests...I would recommend having just 1 standard workspace and you being the only Workspace Member, this would be just $6/month

My personal recommendations

1. If you are happy with Trello as a solution, Stick with it, you'll likely pay just as much elsewhere and its a whole new system to learn...
  2. Make it so that you have just a single workspace and that you are the only workspace member, which for Standard is charged at just $6/mo or $60/yr
  3. The name of the game here is to move as many members from A to B as you possibly can.  B=Free
    Copy of Untitled Design (Desktop Wallpaper).png
  4. Enjoy the other benefits of paid subscription, including higher automation limits (automation to me is where Trello is miles ahead of the rest), custom fields and list colours/collapse (coming soon)... 

Like # people like this
Caity
Atlassian Team
March 18, 2024

@Kori Sullivan I just want to clarify the timing—you can continue using Trello normally with all of your existing collaborators until May 20, after which you’ll still be able to view all of your boards. The change in April will only affect inviting new collaborators. 

We’ll also be offering a 30-day free trial of Trello Premium, starting on April 8 and available through the end of May, to help with this transition. This will be available even if you've used a free trial in the past. After May, our regular 14-day free trial will still be available.

So, if you do need to add new people after the change in April, you could start the 30-day trial then and continue using Trello normally until May. If you do not need to add anyone new during that time, you could wait and start the trial right before boards become read-only on May 20 and continue using Trello normally until mid-June.

Like Dreamsuite Mike likes this
Caity
Atlassian Team
March 18, 2024

@Evelyn Guests who are members of multiple boards in the Workspace are counted as billable users, so it would be 11 billable users total ($55 per month on Standard, when paid annually, or $66 per month when paid monthly).

Like Dreamsuite Mike likes this
Adam Grapes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 19, 2024

Hello,

I have a question on the Invoice. In what form does it take? When our company fills in the form to carry out a purchase, we fill in the tax number (an Italian one in our case). We need an invoice with our company's name on it, does your system pick up this name from the tax number that we supply?

Imran_Ahmed
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 19, 2024

I have Trello Free and have used it for years!  I have a workspace which has 2 members but 68 guests. I guess I'm going to get stung as they are all classed collaborators??? If I upgrade to standard then will I have to pay for 68 people or just the 2 workspace members?
I've read the help articles - too much corporate speak for me and I just want to know definitively - i.e. without the IF and BUT's
I already pay for Confluence which is also atlassian and we have another dept who pay for Standard Trello - so is it better if I move my board to their workspace?!

Wilhelm Caspary March 19, 2024

Please make Trello free for Non-profits

Hi and thanks for a superb product!

We are a small non-profit, and have used Trello for years – it has been great for us as it provided more structure in our communication related to specific tasks. 

We need to stop using this almost perfect tool now because of the costs (even with 75% off it is far beond our economy). Even if it is the best and most affordable system, we will need to resort to free google sheets, or maybe physical paper and regular meetings. It is not a question of how well your product compares to other products. It is just not possible to afford.

I think this will be the case for many users.

This - and Trellos unability to make it easy to understand the different user-levers (why is this so hard to explain?!) and cost-predictability are great weaknesses. 

Non-profits are often very slimmed orgz with almost no economy. 

Please make Trello free for Non-profits

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events