Why is Epic Name blank in All issues view

Chase_Brantley April 30, 2020

In the All Issues section I am trying to pull a report but for some reason "Epic Name" is blank. Epic Link has the name but when the report is pulled out of Jira it only gives me the Epic Link number. I need to have the Epic Name associated with all of the tasks so I can create a report.

Does anyone know how to do this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2020

Hello @Chase_Brantley

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I understand you are trying to find the "Epic name" field in the child issues of your Epics. Is that correct?

Please, allow me to bring you some concepts and questions so we can confirm we are on the same page here:

The "Epic name" is a system field only visible/applicable for Epic issue types, so it is not defined or retrieved in the child issues of Epics, while the "Epic Link" field is a system field related to child issues and used to create their relation with an Epic.

That being said, the Epic Name field can not be retrieved on the child issues directly, however, you can create another custom field and use Jira automation to properly copy the "Epic name" value from the related epic to the child's custom field. As a practical example, you can check the automation rule below:

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 19.59.23.png

The parameter {{issue.epic.customfield_11001}} would be the smart value used to get the value of the "Epic name" field. P.S: The custom field ID of the "Epic name" change form one site to another, so you would need to check its ID by running this REST API for an Epic issue.

Please, let us know if the information provided helps or provide us with more details about the report you are trying to create if the suggestion above does not meet your requirements.

Arseny Chernov (toko) June 28, 2020

Thank you for timely suggestion! By the way, cross-verifying the Custom Field ID is also possible when you look at auto-complete suggestions in JQL search, i.e. in my case it was 10005.
 Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 17.58.41.png

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this
Simon Gibb July 16, 2020

Hi
I get an error when using the following smart value as per the response from Petter:

{{issue.epic.customfield_10011}}

I know the custom field ID 10011 is correct but am I meant to be replacing "customfield" with the name of my new field name?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2020

Hello @Simon Gibb

Just as mentioned in my last answer, The custom field ID of the "Epic name" change from one site to another, so you would need to check its ID by running this REST API for an Epic issue.

That being said, the {{issue.epic.customfield_10011}} would work for my site, but for your site ti might have a different number (ID).

Let us know if you have any questions.

Simon Gibb July 21, 2020

Got it sorted thanks Petter.
The automation is for all new issues created - is there a way to do a copy for existing issues by running a once off script?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
July 21, 2020

Hello @Simon Gibb

You can create another rule using the schedule trigger to execute it for a couple of existing issues periodically, using a JQL query to define which issues you would like to apply this rule:

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 11.38.38.png

Also, you can configure it to run only when you need it, turn the automation off after it is executed.

Simon Gibb July 21, 2020

Petter, what do I add as the JQL text in scheduled trigger above?

Simon Gibb July 27, 2020

Petter, can you comment on the above please?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
July 27, 2020

Hello @Simon Gibb

The JQL query you should create depend on which issues you want that rule to be applied to.

Providing you a practical example, if you want the rule to be applied to all the issues in the "SCRUM" project, this would be the JQL:

project = SCRUM

You can check in the documentation below more details and parameters to configure your JQL:

What is advanced searching in Jira Cloud? 

Like Simon Gibb likes this

Suggest an answer