Which Template

Aileen Murphy November 25, 2022

Hi there,

I'm just starting to use Jira and I want to setup a project with ~100task for a team , there are some sw tasks and some hw tasks. I looked at using either the Software management/Kanban template or the Work management/Project management template, which would you recommend, I would really appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks,

Aileen

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vedant Kulkarni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2022

@Aileen Murphy , what do you want to do with those tasks? Template selection will be based on the type of tasks and for which team you are creating these tasks. If these are development tasks/stories then you should select scrum(if your team follows time-bounded releases) or kanban(if there are no time limits). Jira Work Management is focused on Business projects - like HR, Legal, Sales, etc. 

Aileen Murphy November 25, 2022

Thankyou for responding. 

yes they are development tasks and I'm taking them off MS project (waterfall). The tasks are a combination of SW tasks and HW tasks. The Project is time bounded but in a sequential order. Do you think scrum would suit or does Jira allow me to change templates mid project to Kanban..I'm also learning from the Jira "University" . My questions are probably very basic but its good to know there is a community with toons of knowledge to checkin with.

Vedant Kulkarni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2022

You can segregate them based on components as well and if you choose the Jira Software then Jira allows you to implement a project as Scrum and Kanban together. It is just a difference in the type of board creation. Hence, you can switch to Kanban in mid of the project unless you are in mid of the sprint and you choose to move to Kanban then you cannot, as Kanban is not meant for the sprint. And yes, the Atlassian community is a place where people learn by asking queries or answering queries as well.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Aileen Murphy November 29, 2022

Thanks that's valuable information

Suggest an answer