Uploading Epics, Stories in new JIRA (Next-Gen)

Abhijith Jayakumar October 26, 2018

I am trying to use the Issue Import utility to create stories, epics in JIRA. We moved our projects to the new, improved JIRA and using next-gen boards. When I upload and try to link the CSV fields to the corresponding JIRA fields, I don't see corresponding fields on JIRA such as EPIC Name, EPIC Link or Parent Id. I figure I would need those in order to establish the relationship between Stories - Epics in the CSV and link the same. Please advise.

Is there any other way for me to link Epics to Stories while uploading a CSV with that list

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2018

@Abhijith Jayakumar we don't have the ability to do this in an automated way right now. We will look to rectify this. Thanks for your feedback

Marco Croci
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 8, 2019

Hello @Eoin is there any news about this issue?

cmorreale
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 22, 2019

@Eoin We are also looking to do this, or once we have imported from a CSV to bulk assign epics to stories.  Are either possible? If not, where to they fall in your backlog?  Thanks!

Todd DeFrane
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 25, 2019

@Eoin Any updates on this... Last update looks to be a year ago.  

Gabriel Viger January 16, 2020

@Eoin Any updates on this?

peter.casey February 18, 2020

@Eoin , is this likely to be looked at anytime soon?

patrickr
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 23, 2020

Any updates on this issue?

Anthony Wood June 10, 2020

any updates on this?

1 vote
Nabil Adnan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 12, 2020

Hi @Eoin when can we expect this to be released?

1 vote
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2020

@Abhijith Jayakumar whilst we have been making a lot of improvements with work assignment in the product, improvements to the import tool around issue linking are further down our backlog. In the meantime, we are just about to facilitate the bulk adding of issues to an epic in the Backlog view by adding an epic panel (if you are familiar with classic, you may have used this in the past). I realise this doesn't solve your issue but hopefully it will be a better workaround. The epic panel will start rolling out at the end of the month

peter.casey February 18, 2020

@Eoin Just seen this; thanks for the update.

Jakub Kierszka April 10, 2020

@Eoin To Atlassian product owners: The inability to migrate classic issues to next-gen projects (even if it's a difficult process) blocks my organization from using Next-Gen projects. A migration path is a critical feature for driving adoption.

Like # people like this
peter.casey April 13, 2020

Hi @Eoin 

Is this available yet and if so where would we find the Epic panel?

Thanks

Eoin
Atlassian Team
April 15, 2020

Hi @peter.casey - we are rolling it out at the moment. I can have it turned on for your instance if you want to send your instance name to eryan@atlassian.com - thanks!

1 vote
Lucas Bastianik
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 14, 2020

Any updates of this feature?

0 votes
Belto
Atlassian Team
November 16, 2020

This is currently being tracked as a feature request under https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17758

0 votes
Ted Buchan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 14, 2020

Same issue. Trying to import a CSV from a Next-Gen export on one Jira Cloud Instance to another Cloud Instance empty Next-Gen.

The Issue type was mapped to Issue Type

Screenshot 2020-01-15 18.40.59.png

The Field mapping maps Issue type of Epic in the CSV to Epic in the new board.

Screenshot 2020-01-15 18.40.44.png

Not only can we not link Tasks to their Epics, but the Epics actually don't import for me (I'll raise a support ticket)

Screenshot 2020-01-15 18.46.22.png

Note: I tried the parent ID linking. Seems the Issue Id, Parent Id and Issue Type settings only work for task to subtask mapping.

Larry September 10, 2020

Sad

Larry October 22, 2021

And here I am a year later trying the same thing. And it's still sad. I don't know why I was expecting it to be any different.

0 votes
Abhijith Jayakumar October 29, 2018

Thanks, @Eoin for the response!

Suggest an answer