How to add components in a Next-Gen Project (JIRA Cloud)?

Corinne MacCormack November 19, 2018

Hi Every one!

Any ideas on how to add components in this sort of a template?  Documentation suggests it's quite straightforward but I can't seem to even locate the column section on JIRA cloud.

4 answers

14 votes
Tom Matthews September 12, 2019

Any updates on components for next-gen projects? Where can I see the roadmap?

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2021

Hi Tom, I know this is an older comment but it seems that others are interested in this too.

The link for the public roadmap is here 👉 Atlassian public roadmap but as of today I still couldn't find Next-gen components support on this list.

Like # people like this
4 votes
Philipp Herzig November 19, 2018

If your goal is to just group tickets by components you could create a custom dropdown field called "Component" or use the label field. But you won't get the overview pages like they are available on classic projects.

Sam Wilson March 21, 2019

It sounds like they are working on some kind of customizations for the card view (it's on the public roadmap, at least).

I think the approach you described is a viable one. For now, I'm going to be using a set of labels instead of components. Once they have the ability to customize the card view, or a dedicated components feature, I'll just update any issues with the appropriate labels to use the components.

Fortunately, we don't have a lot of components. If we did, I'd probably use your solution and forgo having them be visible on the cards in the interim.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Hilary Naylor November 13, 2019

Under issue types you can add a custom field - check boxes, drop downs etc That can help with this

1 vote
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2018

Hi @Corinne MacCormack

As I know if you are using Next-Gen project then Components (similar to sub-tasks, required fields, versions, .. ) are not yet available for that type of project. It is a pretty early development stage, so until all elements would be available for that type it would take some time...

Corinne MacCormack November 19, 2018

Thanks Mirek!

Brian Kasper December 1, 2018

That really stinks.  I was hoping to use it.  Not having it is going to hurt us in being able to ensure high accuracy when grouping stories by agile team.  Please get this feature added as soon as possible.  Thanks!!

Like # people like this
Paul Klapperich April 11, 2019

Oh man... but the roadmap feature looked so cool. I'm surprised this was released without this sort of basic functionality included...

Like # people like this
Ren May 6, 2019

Yeah, managers everywhere got very excited about having Gantt Charts back, but to get them you give up a lot of useful stuff.

Like # people like this
jedwards August 7, 2019

Every time I attempt to use next-gen projects I realize just how horrible they are.  They should have called it Jira Slim or Simplified and then you'd expect for features to not be included.  They really are completely useless if you are familiar with Jira Classic.   I've been using Jira for many years now and have seen it grow into a great platform but this is the worst rollout of a product I have every seen.

Like # people like this
Nikhil Kundra August 13, 2019

I think they're actually pretty good (for the time it takes to get them set up), but more useful for project management

Like Grzegorz Woźniczka likes this
Andrew Beak January 29, 2021

>> it would take some time...

It's January 2021 and Atlassian still hasn't delivered this feature.  It feels like they should abandon "next-gen" and rather call it "limited" or "simple" projects.

Like # people like this
Alex Murillo May 13, 2021

My development teams use Jira Team Managed Projects (i.e NextGent) exclusively, at my direction, because the Admin overhead for Jira Company Managed Projects (i.e. Classic) is just not worth the hassle.

I even tried today to explore Classic because I keep running into missing features, like Global Fields for NextGen, that cause clumsy manual workarounds, but still won't switch.

I also promote the use of NextGen for basic task management, or even as a replacement for SharePoint lists or Excel spreadsheets because it's so flexible in many other ways - especially now that the plugin 'Sheets' exists.

In this regard, non-techincal teams can easily get going in NextGen without the heavy Admin overhead or learning curve.  I would even say that NextGen offers a simplicity with power that not even the new Jira Work Management offers.

However, I can only imagine and fully understand how bare bones NextGen would feel for someone like you who is very experienced with Classic.

Like Sergei likes this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2021

Hopefully now with roadmaps being available in classic (company-managed) projects too, companies could keep using classic projects if they have a need for components.

But there are still many that don't want to move to classic and want to use components so I wrote an article with some workarounds that were mention in the community that you could use.

Workarounds include custom fields, automation for Jira, labels but also a Jira plugin  (which our team is developing) if you need experience as close as possible to classic projects.

Article 👉 How to manage Components in team-managed (former Next-gen) projects 

I know that the best option would be to have components available in Jira by default, you can vote on this ticket and follow it for updates.

Like Klósz Valér likes this

Suggest an answer