Could we make the create button a dropdown so we could create an issue in a designated lane?

Andrew Quinan October 14, 2020

On the kanban board there is a link at the bottom of each lane that allows the user to create a new issue in that lane. 

CreateIssue.png

When a lane has many issues some scrolling is required.

The create button:

CreateButton.png

- although accessible, only created tickets in the first state of the workflow. It would be good to have a drop down on the create button to select the lane in which the new ticket will appear.

Anyone agree?

Also, is this the correct forum for feature requests? Many apologies if that is not the case.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2020

@Andrew Quinan Welcome to the community!

This is not a great idea to create issue in different lanes. Reason being it will cause disruption in your workflow.

But nobody is stopping you to do this. Take a look at this response to this question and you will have better idea - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Can-I-set-the-initial-status-of-an-issue-for-a-specific-board/qaq-p/224428

Please feel free jump back if you have anymore questions.

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2020

Sorry, I forgot to mention you won't we able to create dropdown on "Create" button, but when you create issue you can define status that issue will go to, if your workflow permit this.

Andrew Quinan October 15, 2020

DPD J thank you for your quick response.

Our workflow has an initial state for tickets 'in refinement' (without a backlog) to provide visibility for all tickets. This works better than a separate backlog for our lean methodology. As such, when we find defects and tasks needing immediate action we like the option of creating tickets in the 'ready' lane. As there is already a link in each lane for creating tickets in each state (but at the bottom of the lane) we thought having the create button allow the same functionality would make for a better user experience.

At the very least having a button/icon in each lane header would also provide this.

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 15, 2020

I kind of got your idea, but I think this will fall more in feature request category.

On side note, if you can bring status/field mapped to 'ready' lane on create screen and configure create transition in workflow to allow those statuses, you will be able to create issue in this 'ready' lane.

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events