how to automatically send email when user writes comments

Sean Enright May 28, 2014

I am looking to purchase this plugin. I see that it will automatically send emails when a status is updated. However, I can't find any documentation as to whether it can automatically send emails when a user comments on the ticket, without changing the status. Is that possible with JETI?

3 answers

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2014

The ability to notify email-only recipients whos address is defined in custom fields is supported by JEMH.

The support goes a bit further than that, external users can be allowed to mail into a project to create issues, and reply to subsequent notifications. If a remote party includes additional CC's when (a) creating or (b) replying, those additional CC users get included on the issue for subsequent notifications. Email addresses not already defined in the custom field are dropped/forwarded.

JEMH is used in a lot of banks and govt sites, the support for email only users isnt a fixed feature, it has to be configured to be enabled.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2014

Yes, my point about banks and government sites was mainly to say "think before you use it", not "don't". Just making the point that if you go to a security/compliance team and say "this lets you send email that could contain sensitive information to an arbitrary email address", you are not going to get far.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2014

Agree, but every email notification is one FWD, copy/paste, convertToPdf or screenshot away, if someone is determined enough!

0 votes

Thanks Nic. I should have been more specific. The primary reason I need this is to send emails to a list of arbitrary email addresses (read, non-JIRA users that specified in a custom field). I would like this functionality for both status changes and when a user comments.

Does that clarify my question any better?

Thanks,

-Sean

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2014

Actually, JETI is more about sending email in other circumstances.

Off the shelf, Jira's notification scheme can send email on any transitions between status, comments, updates and the rest. You don't need a plugin for basic "send if someone touches an issue"

Thanks Nic. I should have been more specific. The primary reason I need this is to send emails to a list of arbitrary email addresses (read, non-JIRA users that specified in a custom field). I would like this functionality for both status changes and when a user comments.

Does that clarify my question any better?

Thanks,

-Sean

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2014

Ah, right. I don't know if JETI does exactly this. I've worked mostly in places that can't use JETI for compliance and security reasons (it lets you "leak" information that should be protected by the application - mostly ok for most users if they've got careful admins, but unacceptable in banks and goverment sites)

Suggest an answer