export to excel: can't import into googleDoc's or Mac numbers - Must use Open Office?

Wesley Monroe December 14, 2011

I've exported an issue list via the view:Excel (All Fields). It indeed downloads a file with a .xls extension, but neither the mac (Numbers), nor Google Doc's (spreadsheet) can open it. I CAN open it with open office, then save as .xls and I can open on other platforms. Please tell me there's a better way :-).

11 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Wesley Monroe April 30, 2013

This is apparently a feature request or bug fix, depending on your perspective, so there is no answer and I'm closing this question.

1 vote
Caroline Adams July 29, 2016

Imagine my surprise when I found this is still impacting users nearly 5 years later.

1 vote
Angie Canon May 5, 2014

I am trying to open an export of an Issues list using Google Spreadsheets and Mac Numbers. It works on neither, as the other users have noted. I have to open in an MS Excel view-only version and copy and paste to Google Spreadsheets.

What is it about the JIRA xls that causes this problem? Frankly, I don't really care. Just please come up with a solution so we can use the app of our choice.

1 vote
Mathias Ericsson April 15, 2013

I'm having the exact same problem and need to find a way to export information from Issue explorer, or have a way to sum all stories Story points in the issue explorer. A CSV option would be awsome, do you have any plans on implementing this?

0 votes
Meni Lubetkin October 27, 2014

export to Mac numbers doesn't work

please come up with a solution so we can use the app of our choice.

0 votes
Claudia Astazi October 28, 2013

this is a fee for microsft.. ?

0 votes
Deleted user September 22, 2013

Libre Office 3.4.4 didn't work for me :-( Please Jira give us CSV export!

0 votes
Ben Mehling April 30, 2013

For what it's worth, I've installed LibreOffice to open the ".xls" files exported from Jira. From there I can copy/paste into gDrive.

0 votes
Jack Baty April 16, 2013

I would also prefer a simple CSV option. The Excel export does not offer me enough benefit over CSV to justify the requirement of using Excel to view it.

0 votes
Ben Mehling April 10, 2013

Same issue here. Google Docs / Drive attempts a conversion and then complains "The uploaded file has the wrong format specification - for example, you might be trying to upload a CSV file as a XLS file." I've tried chaning the extension to .xlsx too, w/out any luck.

Further info: my mac can generally preview office documents, including Excel files, but in the case of this document, it cannot open them either.

This is pretty annoying (to me) as we don't use Office.

Can we please just have a download as .csv option (in the Views menu of the Jira Issues search screen)?

0 votes
Felipe Reis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2012

Im having the same issue....

Suggest an answer