What is the real difference between a software and business project.

Dieter Blomme January 27, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: JIRA applications overview

Since as soon as you start using jira software, ALL the users are jira software users. And the only thing I noticed is that a software project shows a board that shows issues for that project in the sidebar for a software project (which is handy for business projects too sometimes!)

4 answers

5 votes
scherbank October 3, 2017

Predefined settings, integration with dev tools and versions this is the difference. Agile boards also can't be created as Project based.

It looks like you can create everything later on but not exactly.

For example if you create a Kanban board from Agile Board panel and select "create from project" than choose you business project. In that case you will see the result Board looking like created on filter. Only 2 icons will be available: Board and Report. When you create the same with software project you will see all project icons.

From Project window you won't see you Kanban (as ... icon) and you can't create a Board.

This is just the one example.

SO to sum up Business projects are simple and hard to use for software teams due to low features enabled by default.

1 vote
daften October 30, 2016

In the meantime, there are also boards for business projects, so it's completely unclear for me what the main differences are, I guess in the basic workflows and so on?

0 votes
Gurprasad Singh May 30, 2019

I think the differences that I could see , and please correct me if I am wrong are as following :-

1. Software Projects have the fully integrated Agile Board, however the problem is that it only has three limited categories against which the statuses can fall under, i.e "To DO, In Progress, Done", so even if you are customizing your workflow, each status within that workflow will sit in the JIRA default categories only, if there is a way to change that please let me know

2. Business Projects do no have fully integrated agile boards, however one can customize the catgories as per the workflow statuses to appear as columns in the board, Business project also do not have a release and Sprint planning features that are available in the Software project types

For me this is a slight problem as the project lies in the IoT/Software development space and has both software and business components to it, and there is not one single solution for that i can see as of now in JIRA, that can be acheived without the need of heavy customization if yes, please share :)

Tom Minette September 11, 2019

It is possible to change the JIRA default categories to a customized view. Our project has four main statuses.

Like Joseph W_ likes this
Joseph W_ April 30, 2020

Want more than just 3 columns for your Boards?
Start by editing the project workflow or creating a new one for your company needs!

1. Find your admin settings

2. Create new statuses, for each possible point in your work process

3. Add those statuses to your workflow, and define their names and screens if they are needed (mandatory transition/resolution notes, time logging, etc)

4. Add transitions between the statuses as needed for 1-way transitions.

5. Publish the workflow changes

6. Associate the workflow with your project issue types!

Like peng zhihuai likes this
peng zhihuai July 13, 2020

Hi Joseph:

I followed your steps, but these operation just create a new workflow, board only has  three columns(ToDo/IN PROGRESS/DONE)............ : (

Like Joseph W_ likes this
Joseph W_ July 17, 2020

If your Board is in a Software Project, then it has its own settings that can change Columns! :D

1. Navigate to your Software Project

2. Click on "Kanban Board" or "Scrum Board", depending on what type it uses.

3. Click on "Board Settings"

4. Click on "Columns"

5. Adjust the number and name of Columns as needed,
    as well as the statuses that should show in each column.

Image 10.pngImage 20.pngImage 30.png

0 votes
Seri Ogata October 23, 2016

Hi,

I can add a new board for business projects(Business Task Management Project). Also, there is no "out of box" board in a software project which is based on Basic Software Development Project.

My understanding is that whether we choose business or software, we can add issue types and boards. The difference is only initial configuration and it can be modified.

Could I have you confirm whether my understanding is correct or not?

Seri

Robin Surland May 1, 2017

That has been my expirence as well Seri. I have not found anything that cannot be added or changed in a business template to make it behave like the software templates. I have used it for other departments just getting started who are adament they don't want a software template. Of course in no time at all they want the power of boards and other issue and workflow schemes. 

Like # people like this
scherbank October 3, 2017

I am not fully agree with you statement.

Once you create a business project you can't simply create a Agile Board. The icon simple not available. You can do it only from Agile menu but in this case the board won't be fully integrated into project menus so it will be basically filter based.

Suggest an answer