What is the real difference between a software and business project.

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: JIRA applications overview

Since as soon as you start using jira software, ALL the users are jira software users. And the only thing I noticed is that a software project shows a board that shows issues for that project in the sidebar for a software project (which is handy for business projects too sometimes!)

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

In the meantime, there are also boards for business projects, so it's completely unclear for me what the main differences are, I guess in the basic workflows and so on?

Hi,

I can add a new board for business projects(Business Task Management Project). Also, there is no "out of box" board in a software project which is based on Basic Software Development Project.

My understanding is that whether we choose business or software, we can add issue types and boards. The difference is only initial configuration and it can be modified.

Could I have you confirm whether my understanding is correct or not?

Seri

That has been my expirence as well Seri. I have not found anything that cannot be added or changed in a business template to make it behave like the software templates. I have used it for other departments just getting started who are adament they don't want a software template. Of course in no time at all they want the power of boards and other issue and workflow schemes. 

I am not fully agree with you statement.

Once you create a business project you can't simply create a Agile Board. The icon simple not available. You can do it only from Agile menu but in this case the board won't be fully integrated into project menus so it will be basically filter based.

Predefined settings, integration with dev tools and versions this is the difference. Agile boards also can't be created as Project based.

It looks like you can create everything later on but not exactly.

For example if you create a Kanban board from Agile Board panel and select "create from project" than choose you business project. In that case you will see the result Board looking like created on filter. Only 2 icons will be available: Board and Report. When you create the same with software project you will see all project icons.

From Project window you won't see you Kanban (as ... icon) and you can't create a Board.

This is just the one example.

SO to sum up Business projects are simple and hard to use for software teams due to low features enabled by default.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Teamwork

What teamwork quotes inspire you?

Hey everyone! My name is Natalie and I'm an editor of the Atlassian Blog and I've got a question for you: What's your favorite quote about teamwork?  We've compiled a list here, along with...

140 views 16 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you