User Story Nesting

Scott Ocamb July 6, 2013

It looks to me that curently we have the ability to define epics and a set of user stories under it. For large complex products this is not sufficent. Will GreenHoppwer ever support multiple levels of nested stories?

If i am incorrect in this assumption, please let me know how I can handle multiple nested stories.

5 answers

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2013

I doubt that GreenHopper will support this at this point. Usage of structure plugin is an alternative for https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.almworks.jira.structure

Scott Ocamb July 6, 2013

I see this as a big limitation. It looks to me like there are some legacy architecture issues becasue of Jira. I was using Rally where stories can be nested. It is very easy to define a nested backlog in Rally. Am I wrong in thinking this is a limitation?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2013

I think it is a trade off between simplicity and features. And in most cases, if the project requires to be maintained and controlled by levels more than three, it might not be scrum and agile anymore, but the traditional project management fit into 'scrum ways of working'. No offence meant, just my opinion.

0 votes
Marshal Konzvo November 6, 2014

I concur with Scott, TFS allows Nesting of Epics as well as User stories (parent / child relationship), in the equivalent of the linked issue field and display accordingly in structure I guess

0 votes
C April 9, 2014

I also view JIRA's limited hierarchy as an unfortunate limitation. This limitation is similar to the old 'tasks may only have one level of sub-tasks' issue, which has been around forever.

I, for one, would like to see JIRA allow arbitrary levels of nesting.

0 votes
Frédéric Tardieu
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2013

Well, it depends on why you have to nest. Jira offers the possibility to use componant or version fields to segregate issues. You can also link issues between themselves, and then there is not limit.

A use case would be nice to find best solution for you.

0 votes
Frédéric Tardieu
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2013

Hi,

There's no infinite nesting levels by default in Jira. Only Task/Epic->sub task. You can use relationships between tasks elements to nest, but then you would only retrieve your tasks thru search. Maybe you should have a look to Structure plugin.

F.

Suggest an answer