Switching off notification email for a particular user

Rumceisz May 8, 2012

Hi All,

is there a way to switch off the notification function for a particular user? We use user groups in the notification scheme nad the user has to be remain in the group, so we cannot remove him from the group. But he doesn't want to get email anymore.

Is there any way switching off this feature for this particular user? I guess the user properties feature (you know 'key, value')..but I don't have a clue.

Can you please suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Rumi

6 answers

1 vote
Barry Pollard September 5, 2016

Know this is an old thread but in case anyone else stumbles across this:

I have and issue where we have a few "system accounts" which update issues. For example we have a GitLab user set up in JIRA to allow us to integrate. At present this is set up with my e-mail address (as I don't realy want to use a dummy e-mail address and annoy the Exchange people at our company).

The issue is when it adds a comment it auto watches.

Discovered today that you can log in as that System user, edit my profile, change the autowatch to Disabled to prevent new auto watching.

Then I do a search with the following JQL: "issue in watchedIssues()" and bulk change those to unwatch all the issues that the system account has been added to as a watcher.

Bish bosh - no more mails for me for the system account!

Two issues this doesn't solve:

1) is if someone manually adds that user - but people tend not to do that

2) Is system user is in a default watcher group - but that can be controlled with a proper Notification scheme.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2012

How about this? https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/com.javahollic.jira.jdigest

You need to shell out some money though!

Corey_Tabb April 16, 2019

shouldn't have to spend money on a basic feature that the community have been asking for over 10 years now and still nothing is done about this that is poor customer service, in my opinion, how can they let a wanted feature sits on the back end for over 10 years when it's as simple as customised notifications for users as that isn't a big feature but is hugely impacting as atm you either get no emails or all emails there is no middle ground.

they really need to start adding more features that are requested into the system i have seen god knows how many threads of angry users that are too tied into to jira to move out of them now.

0 votes
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2012

By pointing to:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/25324/disable-accounts-set-invalid-email-address

...I did indeed answer the wrong question. My bad. I have tried my first ever "delete" in order to tidy up.

As for the *actual* question, you say that the user does not "want to get email anymore". If this means "no email at all" then one option is to suggest that they use a mailbox rule to silently drop incoming emails from JIRA.

Another (as mentioned in my link and in other's answers on this thread) is to use a dummy email address. Personally, I feel uncomfortable about having emails sent that I know cannot be delivered. However, it's possible to use a server-side rule in Microsoft Exchange to silently drop them or, if using Unix, direct to dev/null.

The optimal solution would be for JIRA to allow notifications to be disabled for individuals. This is already logged as a "New Feature" and I now see that I already commented on the issue a couple of weeks ago:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-2993

Rumceisz May 8, 2012

Hi,

is there a "cleaner" solution than change the email address (it was also my first guess)? Maybe with user property?? Guess..

0 votes
TothJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2012

If you want to turn off the notification for that user totally, then change the email address to something like unused@company.com.

Oleksandr Presich June 15, 2014

Hmmm...but what to do if we use AD (Active Directory) as User directory? There is no possibility to change email address )

0 votes
Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2012

I have a few users requesting that. Upper management chain folks who have people come and tell them when there is a problem lol. They don't like having to scan emails. I just delete their email address (or put in a dummy address) from their account details. That removes them completely but they are happy with that arrangement so who am I to argue?

Hope that helps. Not an elegant solution but it works.

All the best,

Dave

0 votes
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2012

This is a question that that has been asked previously:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/25324/disable-accounts-set-invalid-email-address

See my answer at the end. Basically, it's expected that JIRA v5.1 may solve your problem.

Rumceisz May 8, 2012

Hi Mark,

no it's a different topic.

Suggest an answer