Sharing Filters with Custom Groups

When I try to share a filter with groups, it only allows me to make shares to

How come the rest of the groups don't show up in there? Just those 3.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Dieter Community Champion Dec 07, 2011
Are you member of those groups?
Dieter Community Champion Dec 07, 2011
I am asking this because you can only share with roles and groups you are member of. please check

That's very helpful. I added myself to all groups, and now I see it.

I can't share my filter with "Executives" unless I am one? That's crazy.

Brian, if you think about it, makes sense. Differente groups can have different permissions over Jira issues, so you shouldn't be able to show a filter to somebody that may have less permissions than you. If you have permissions to handle information relevant to the "Executives" group, why you shouldn't be on that group? If that group have more permissions than you, but you want to share something with them, they they should also be in the same group you are.

This worked for me, but I had to log out/in before I saw the group as an option.

This behavior is really silly.  I am an jira administrator.  I am also in a development group that has many more permissions that the "product management" group.  I want to give access to the "product management" group even though I am not a member.  What ends up happening is that I now have to add myself to every group that needs access to this board.  Now instead of being in a group or two that describes my duties, I am in every group that may need access to a particular resource that I have access to through a different group.

0 vote

Jira tries to restrict who can see all group names. The oddness is documented at with 

"Note that you can only share filters with groups/roles of which you are a member." 

Better to share by project anyway

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Alexey Matveev
Published Saturday in Jira

How to run Jira in a docker container

Everything below is tested on Ubuntu 17.10. I prefer to use Jira in a docker container because: 1. I can install Jira with a couple of commands. 2. I can start and stop Jira just by starting and s...

51 views 1 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot