Retain filter columns when copying a filter.

Wayne Grebe December 12, 2012

When using "Save As" to copy a filter, is there a way to retain the columns from the original filter? What it looks like it's doing currently is using the last configuration of columns based upon any changes made to the default setting.

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Ming Gong January 2, 2013

This bug is definitely still alive. :) I found a work around. If you click on "Save As new filter" on the left side from the "Edit Filter's column order" screen, the column orders are retained. While this workaround works, it is a hassle since it takes 2 extra steps to clone a filter properly. Please fix this as soon as possible. thx!

Ming

Wayne Grebe January 2, 2013

Thank you Mgong!

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2013

Seems like the bug has reappeared. See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-30968

Have added an additional comment there.

Wayne Grebe January 2, 2013

Thanks Renjith for following up on the originally reported bug!

0 votes
Dalectric
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2013

I may have an answer for copying other user's filters and preserving the column order in JIRA 5.2

First you will need a URL that's unique to you

1. Selected the Manage Filters item from the Issue menu
  2. Find a filter you own and edit the filter by clicking Edit from the Gear icon on the far right of the screen
  3. Under Operations on the left of the screen right click Save as new filter link and copy the link address/location. This option name varies between different browsers)

You should now have a URL similar to

https://JIRASERVER:8080/secure/SaveAsFilter!default.jspa?atl_token=ABCD-1234-WXYZ-RS12%4abdc23552ab218394ac676273acbe214525f123ab%7Clin&returnUrl=ManageFilters.jspa

Now to copy other user's filters and preserve the column order

1. View the filter you want to copy
  2. Paste the URL you copied in the steps above into the browser address bar https://JIRASERVER:8080/secure/SaveAsFilter!default.jspa?atl_token=ABCD-1234-WXYZ-RS12%4abdc23552ab218394ac676273acbe214525f123ab%7Clin&returnUrl=ManageFilters.jspa</li<>>
  3. Save the filter with a name and description as required
  4. Go to the new filter (It should be listed under My Filters)
  5. Check the columns are the same.

I've tested this and it's worked for me.

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2012

Hi Wayne,

You should be able to add column order to a saved filter, check out the instructions for Defining filter-specific issue navigator column order in the online docs. If you're having problems with this, feel free to submit a ticket over at our support site.

Thanks,

-dave

Wayne Grebe December 12, 2012

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick response. That's not the question I'm asking though. What I really want to know is why is it that when I perform a "Save As" the columns from the original filter are not retained? In other words, the columns completely change to whatever I have done to the default Navigator column setting. Wouldn't it make sense that if I'm copying a filter I'd also like to retain the column settings as well?

Thanks, Wayne

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2012

Sorry, Wayne! That does make sense, and I had thought it was working once you set the columns. It appears that this used to be a bug, and while it was supposed to be fixed, I'm wondering if the 'fix' was actually applied. I'm looking into this and will get back to you. In the meantime, you'll unfortunately have to set the column info on the filter (but at least you only have to do it once!).

Thanks,

-dave

Wayne Grebe December 13, 2012

Thanks Dave. It would be great if this would be fixed. Glad to know you're following up. Thanks again. BTW, love that avatar with the sailboat. If I ever get some extra $ I really want to get back to running with the wind.

Suggest an answer