Resolve via commit is unreliable?

Greg Bruening September 16, 2013

I just posted this as a comment in the documentation but my team is having some major issues with the issue tracker recognizing commands from commits. See my comment from the docs below:

Perhaps I'm doing something weird with my commits but resolving issues via commit seems incredibly unreliable.

50% of the time, "close #" will function as intended but the other 50% it will just never close the item. Is there a time delay in how long it takes BB to register that I said to close the issue? If I open the commit, I can see the "close #" and can click on the issue number, but it will never close.

The same goes for the accepted terminology - it's been a guessing game lately. "close" works but "closes" didn't, "resolve" worked once, but "Resolving" didn't. I'm one that likes to tack these at the end of my explanation (ie, "Changed all widths of module content to 270px, resolving #34") so is the extra text or the fact that I have multi-line commits causing issues? I'm trying to integrate the Issue Tracker into our every day dev but these unknowns (what terms work vs don't, is it finicky, do line breaks matter) make it hard to dive in fully.

As an addendum, I use Tower for my Git - could this be a potential reason for the unreliability?

Essentially, am I doing something wrong or are others suffering from this as well?

1 answer

0 votes
AgentSmith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 8, 2013

Just to clarify, the syntax would be as follows:

JRA-090 #close Fixed this today

That command specifically executes the close issue workflow transition. This transition is in the default JIRA workflow. The example also adds the comment 'Fixed this today' to the issue.

Its important to note that the available transition values depend on a projects workflow configuration.

To view a projects workflow:

- Open an issue in the project

- Locate the Status Field in the Details section

- Click the View Workflow link provided

More details available here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Processing+JIRA+issues+with+commit+messages

As well as here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Advanced+workflow+configuration

Hopefully this will help get you on the right path.

Greg Bruening October 9, 2013

I'm not working with JIRA, just BitBucket alone and attempting to close issues via my Git plugin for Sublime Text. I put an official issue up and have received a response but, as expected, it seems to be an edge case. This question was mostly to gauge whether or not anyone else had issues - but it seems they don't :)

Suggest an answer