Preserving HTML formatting in issues created from email

Vytenis Bivainis February 4, 2013

We are using JIRA 4.4.4. We configured issue creation from mail boxes using com.atlassian.jira.service.services.pop.PopService. We receive a lot of HTML emails and we would like to preserve their formatting (especially tables). https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email says:

If HTML/Rich Text formatting is not being process correctly by JIRA, this is an expected behaviour. The email comment handler was designed to do plain text conversion.

Is there any solution? What would you recommend?

9 answers

5 votes
Ryan Grewal June 7, 2018

5 years and still nothing ... sad 

Harald Ulreich November 6, 2018

more than sad!

Like # people like this
Kara Kerkhof May 8, 2020

Any news on this, it's 2020 now... hopefully SOMETHING?

Like draganbocevski likes this
2 votes
Vytenis Bivainis February 20, 2013

I think we will try to attach email body as an attachment.

2 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2013

Not natively, that is the expected behaviour. You can go the plugin route:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.javahollic.jira.jemh-ui

I'm sure @andybrook will give you the help you need.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2013

Hmm, JIRA 4.x, JEMH has no HTML support in that release, current releases have some HTML -> wiki markup conversion but it is far from 'nice' and is intended to help with presentation of some trivial table structures. Future work will work on this, with a goal of making it 'closer', but not for JIRA 4.x Im afraid.

The 'best' solution on offer in current releases is to actually attach the source email to the issue, retaining all related formatting 'exactly'.

1 vote
Justin Warwick August 26, 2020

Aside from "mere" spacing and styling, I have noticed that colspan attributes are also stripped out, which can affect the "meaning" of a table. If/when we get a solution, it would be nice to be able to distinguish between preserving cosmetics and preserving some of the deeper semantic/geometric layout.

1 vote
John Chachere August 6, 2015

Capturing email without HTML is bad.  I can't even get a decent round trip - jira-generated email loses format when it's forwarded back into Jira!  Definitely a problem here.

0 votes
Saad November 20, 2018

I am also waiting for a solution on this . At least reduce the extra white space between lines. 

Harald Ulreich November 20, 2018

plssssssssssss

Like # people like this
Saad November 20, 2018

Need this for JIRA service desk in particular

Like Tim Otterbach likes this
Martin Johannes Kalchgruber May 8, 2020

I am also waiting for a solution on this.

enjayaitch June 3, 2020

Me too

0 votes
richard.wang@ny.frb.org May 19, 2016

In the newest version of JIRA is it possible to preserve HTML email formatting when adding HTML emails to comments?

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2017

Hi, 

I have checked on 7.3.6 version with standard mail handlers. 

HTML email formatting does not work. :(

Like Mariusz Siennicki likes this
0 votes
Adam Tiner August 3, 2015

I also would like an update on this. Thanks in advance!

0 votes
Arianna Fabbri January 19, 2015

Any news on this issue?

Is there now a way to preserve the HTML format of the incoming email?

Thank you

Suggest an answer