Issue Comments have random strike throughs of text- how to fix?

Kevin L April 15, 2014

Incredibly aggravating and I hope there's a simple answer- I've looked all over the help files and can't seem to get this to work right.

When I enter comments in Issues I often get text randomly struck through with lines so it looks like I'm deleting those words. Which I'm not. This is totally random and is causing problems with communication in my team.

I've looked at JIRA OnDemad help- mentions rich text formatting buttons- I do not have ANY formatting buttons on my Issues views. I tried to go into change the Comments setting to Plain Text and that didn't help. I REALLY need to address this ASAP and would appreciate someone's help. I am not a JIRA expert so you'll need to tell me exactly what steps to take. Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jim Blinkhorn April 15, 2014

Hi Kevin,

You can create a strike through by surrounding a word/sentence with hyphens. It may be worth testing this to see if it is the root cause of your issue.

Thanks,

Jim

Kevin L April 16, 2014

it happens on text with no hyphens around it. completely random. very aggravating. thanks for the tip though.

0 votes
Kevin L April 16, 2014

Actually- when going back and editing it's taking some hyphens and using that as you suggested. some other hyphenated sentences don't get this. still seems random but I know what to look for- thanks for the help.

Jim Blinkhorn April 16, 2014

Good to hear Kevin, for the strikethrough to occur the leading hyphen must be directly before the first letter of the word/sentence and the trailing hyphen must be directly after the last word, ie, no spaces. Hopefully this helps narrow down the issue somewhat.

gowri goli July 25, 2018

I noticed having ----before and after the text----- like this is the root cause of the problem. Not sure how to resolve it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2018

Markup has changed since the original question.

luke.young April 18, 2019

How does one do strikethrough now? Do you have a link to the updated markup sheet?
@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2019

Have a look at the help under the + button in your Jira when you try to create or edit comments or text fields.  (I could link to manuals, but it's better that you use the help because then you'll be seeing text that is correct for your version)

Suggest an answer