• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • Is there a way to send email notification when Assignee field gets updated even though there was no transition was made?

Is there a way to send email notification when Assignee field gets updated even though there was no transition was made?

Alvin Gasta January 24, 2017

Hi! I have project that contains three workflows. One of the workflow requires to send email notification whenever an update was made on the Assignee field. Is there a way to customize a specific workflow for email notifications without sending the same notifications on other workflows?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2017

Not the way you describe it - the workflows have nothing to say about non-workflow activity.

If you use the "assign" link on an issue view, you'll get an "issue assigned" event you can use in the notification scheme.  "Issue updated" goes out on an "edit" such as just changing the assignee without using the assign link.

All of those are project based though, not by issue type.

You'll need a custom listener that can pick up both of those events, check if they are assignee changes, and that the issue is of the issue type you want to send mail for, then send your own email.

Alvin Gasta January 25, 2017

Hi Nic,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. As I understand an email notification using notification scheme works on a project level and not by workflow level as what I wanted. I only wanted to trigger the email notification on a specific workflow (i.e. having specific Issue Type). Currently I have one project that contains 3 workflows and each WF have thier own Issue Type. 

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll give it a try to today.

I also have made a bit of significant progress yesterday. What I did is that I created a new transition on a workflow named "New Assignee". This transition goes to a status which has no outgoing transitions. I added a post function here where I Fire a Generic Event. This event was a custom event that was copied to Issue Assigned (system event).  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2017

Hmm.

>As I understand an email notification using notification scheme works on a project level and not by workflow level as what I wanted

No, that's not the right way to think of it.  There is no "workflow level".

A notification scheme works on events.  It tells JIRA to send email to a selection of people when a certain events happen to an issue.

The workflow is one thing that can fire these events, and it fires them on transitions.  You get to choose what events are fired by each transition.   There are other, non-workflow, actions that also fire events, such as issue moved, edited, deleted and so-on.  These are nothing to do with project or workflow "level" settings, they are quite simply "things that happen to issues".

In this case, you're trying to trap a change of assignee.  There's many ways to do that, but there are three things to look at - re-assigning fires an "issue assigned" event, editing fires an "issue updated" event, and your workflow fires whatever event you want when you transition the issue (bearing in mind that the assignee can only change on transition if the user is offered it in a screen).

Suggest an answer