Importing CSV file, Originale Estimate comes in as seconds.

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2013

We are importing using a CSV file. The Originale Estimate field is coming in as seconds. Is there a way to format the Original Estimate field?

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2013

Its a pre-requisite that the original estimate in the csv file needs to be in seconds. So there is nothing wrong with the import. Have a look at the url for confirmation

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA051/Importing+Data+from+CSV

The workaround I would suggest is to open the file in excel and multiply the column for original estimate by a equivalent factor (say 60 if it is in min or 3600 if it is in hours in your csv)

Rahul

Flávio Araújo August 29, 2017

I´m using JIRA v6.3.8 and I have a question:

If for an issue I need 1 hour to do the task, on CSV file I should use the value 3600 or 3600s?

I´m asking because using just number 3600, when I look a task in Jira, the field is filled with 1m.

Like Geoffrey Gerald Mouton likes this
8 votes
Mayank Raja July 15, 2016

it doesn't make sense to enter estimate in seconds. If Atlassian wants to allow users to do some planning in Jira, then stick to hours and days.

Flávio Araújo August 29, 2017

Can´t agree more.

2 votes
Edward Greathouse April 19, 2018

When I try to import anything greater than 28800, it gives the following error:

WARN - Unable to parse original estimate: [144,000]

Any ideas on how to get around this? 

1 vote
Reg Hawkins January 12, 2018

3600 is 1 hour

in JIRA the default setting per day is 8 hours (unless your admin has changed it)

28800 is 1 day

Suggest an answer