IDE Connector for VIsual Studio and Ankh

Spam Me November 23, 2011

I'm testing jira with Visual Studio, the Jira IDE Connector and AnkhSVN but I don't get how it should work. I have checked the "Enable AnkhSVN integration (experimental)" checkbox in the Jira IDE Connector configuration, in the "Issue Tracker Configuration" Window of AnkhSVN the "Atlassian JIRA Connector" is selected and I have checked the "Integrate with Atlassian Connector" checkbox and clicked on "OK" button but when I reopen the window the checkbox is any more checked.

I tried to start some issues and/or close them and commit some files but I don't see any integration between the two tools. I coudn't also find any documentation about it. Can somebody explain how it works and how it should be configurated?

Visual Studio 2010 SP1

JIRA IDE Connector Version 1.3.4-STABLE, Build 20111011-1133

AnkhSvn Version 2.3.10509.1073

Subversion properties:

vs:issuerepository-connector: Atlassian JIRA Connector
vs:issuerepository-id: JIRA
vs:issuerepository-propertynames: integrate.with.ankh
vs:issuerepository-propertyvalues: 1
vs:issuerepository-uri: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

2 answers

0 votes
Mark Simpson October 29, 2014

I'm very interested in this so I've installed the add-in to try out. I'm using:

VS2008 Professional v9.0.30729.4462

AnkhSVN v2.5.12471

Following the instructions above almost everything works:

I am able to see the correct list of JIRA issues within VS2008

I can link JIRA to AnkhSVN (getting the big logo)

I can "Start Work" on a JIRA issue, which then gets listed within the AnkhSVN "Issues" tab.

When I "Stop Work" the time etc. is logged correctly in JIRA against the "active" issue.

The bit that doesn't work is the commit text. If I understand it correctly the commit text should automatically include the issue ID & description, so that it appears correctly against the issue within JIRA. I shouldn't have to type it in myself. This doesn't happen. If however I type the issue ID into the "message" window of AnkhSVN (along with my check-in comments) before committing it behaves as I would expect. 

This may not be the right place to put this, but I thought it would be helpful to know. I may be doing something wrong, if so can somebody put me straight? 

0 votes
Janusz Gorycki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2011

Hi,

The integration with AnkhSVN is (as you noticed) "experimental". It is not really to be used in production environments, beacuse it is rather basic.

However, if you really want to use it, you should:

1. select the "Enable AnkhSVN integration (experimental)" in VS connector properties
  2. restart Visual Studio
  3. open a solution that has been checked out from SVN
  4. in the "Issue Tracker Configuration" select "Atlassian JIRA Connector" and _also_ check the checkbox. This does fail sometimes for reasons unknown (AnkhSVN seems to act naughty every once in a while). Restarting seems to help

After this initial setup is succesfully completed, you will get a big Atlassian logo with a warning and a "No Issue Active" text in the "Issues" tab of AnkhSVN's "Pending Changes" window. If you then invoke "Start work" on any JIRA issue in the VS Connector, it will become "active" in AnkhSVN, meaning that when you commit anything, the commit comment will contain your active JIRA issue's key

I hope this answers your question

Best Regards

Janusz Gorycki

Suggest an answer