How to make Work Log as mandatory for Every Transition in Jira 4.0?

Avdhesh Chauhan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2012

I have one workflow now i want that when it will go to from Development status to Testing Phase it should ask for Work Log, without worklog it should not allow users to do the transition go to the next step?

5 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2012

Add 'Time Tracking' field to your screens and add a 'Field Rquired' validator in the workflow transition for 'timespent' field.

The validator is available via the JIRA Suite utilities plugin!

Avdhesh Chauhan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2012

Thanks a lot sir its working fine.:):)

Daniel Stava January 22, 2013

I have 'Time Tracking' field added to all screen (create, edit and view) and I added 'Field required' validator for Time Spent field, but it doesn't work. It throws me an error message saying (even I log work before executing the transition):

Workflow Error

Time Spent is required.

It seems that you have tried to perform an illegal workflow operation.

If you think this message is wrong, please contact your JIRA administrators.

Do you have an idea what is wrong? We have JIRA 4.4.5.

Thank You

Luana Santos March 19, 2013

Daniel Stava, have you had any answer to your problem with the Workflow Error? I'm having the same problem. It looks like its a bug from JIRA Suite Utilities Plugin, but I'm still not sure.

If you have an alternate path for that issue, please share.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel Stava March 19, 2013

Hi,

the trick is, that you have to assign screen with "Log work" field to a transition and add "Fields required" validator for "Time Spent" field.

In my case, i've created "Log Work Screen", where is only "Log Work" field and I assign the screen to a transition, where I've set validator for "Time Spent".

Did this help?

Daniel, I assume that solution won't work if the users logged work before getting to that screen.

My scenario is: an user is assigned to an issue, log work every day on the issue, and when the user close the issue we want JIRA to validate if the user logged work on the issue as he was supposed to do.

So, logging work when closing the issue will not be a solution for me.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

I found a solution!

I used the built-in script validator from Script Runner and the condition "issue.timeSpent".

Now, JIRA doesn't allow closing the issue without work logged on it.

Like Todd Judd likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2015

It works for me now, add Time Tracking field, and a validator for Time Spent. But you have to check the tiny Log Work checkbox to see the time-related fields

1 vote

Daniel Stava, have you had any answer to your problem with the Workflow Error? I'm having the same problem. It looks like its a bug from JIRA Suite Utilities Plugin, but I'm still not sure.

If you have an alternate path for that issue, please share.

Thanks in advance.

0 votes
Tornike Gelashvili November 29, 2017

Did you manage to do it? I'm looking for the same thing.

0 votes
Tal Even-Tov August 23, 2016

We're getting the same issue that Daniel Stava is. Wish someone could find a work around for the cloud service edition.

Suggest an answer