How to import issue link - (relates to) via CSV

hi 

Is JIM upgraded to import issue links via CSV ? I am interested in importing 2 items with 'relates to' issue linking between them. (I looked at the available faq in the forum, but did not find any option other than jelly)

Please help.

3 answers

1 accepted

Hey,

It's possible - we have just release to marketplace JIM 6.2.20 which allows to import/create Issue links via CSV. It's available for both CSV admin and non-admin importer. You can install this version of JIM to JIRA 6.2+ and it will be by default bundled with JIRA 6.4+

I'm afraid we do not have available docs for this process yet, but it's really similar to import of SubTasks: You need to map one column as Issue ID, and the other as desired link (e.g. "Link 'relates to'"). The 'Link' column need to have a value corresponding to other issue 'Issue Id' value or it needs to be an issue key of already existing issue. For example:

Summary,Issue Id,Link One,Link One,Link Two
House  ,       1,       2,       3,       2
Patio  ,       2,        ,        ,
Garden ,       3,  TEST-1,        ,

The file above would create three issues with correctly created issue links:

• Issue 'House' will have three links:
    • Two links of type "Link One" to issue 'Patio' and 'Garden'
    • One link of type "Link Two" to issue 'Patio'
  • Issue 'Garden' will be linked to issue with key 'TEST-1'

I didn't expect it so soon: +1

hi

I have two existing issues [ RJM-169 (Foo-1) and RJM-170 (Foo-2) ]. My import csv has

SummaryIssue IdBlocks
Foo-1RJM-169

RJM-170

After the import, my expectation is to see both RJM-169 and RJM-170 are showing issues links 'blocks' to each other. But instead, a new item RJM-171 is created, which has RJM-169 as External ID and RJM-170 as the 'Blocked' link.  Please help to understand this better.          

My requirement is to create links between EXISTING ITEMS ONLY. I don't want to create new items.

image2015-2-19 16:12:33.png

thanks

R

Unfortunately the non-admin CSV Importer is securely designed and it only allows to create new issues. If you'd like to update existing issues, you will need to use the admin CSV Importer available in External System Import menu in system settings.

Hi, I am using the admin External Importer. Is there anything else that I may be missing ?.

In that case, CSV Importer identifies the issue that you'd like to update by Issue Key mapping. If your CSV file looks like the table that you have posted in this answer then please map it this way: - Summary -> Summary - Issue Id -> Issue Key - Blocks -> Link 'blocks' This way imorter will update the issue that is pointed by 'Issue Key' mapping.

This worked great!! Thanks a lot. Could you please look and advice on this ticket JST-128657. I have received an answer but not accepted it yet.

Hello, regarding above:

Unfortunately the non-admin CSV Importer is securely designed and it only allows to create new issues. If you'd like to update existing issues, you will need to use the admin CSV Importer available in External System Import menu in system settings.

Is this still the case? 

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

82 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you