How to configure this particular Greenhopper board?

Hop Frog November 5, 2012

Hi,

We're using Jira 6.0.

About one screen down on the following URL, there is a picture of a board that is used as an example of the Wallboard Gadget.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Using+the+Wallboard+Gadget

My question is not about the Wallboard plugin (which works fine for placing any existing board of mine on the dashboard), but rather about how this particular example board was constructed.

This looks like an ordinarly Kanban board, but the first column is labeled Backlog. As far as I can see from the documentation, columns must correspond to status values (or unions of status values) only. I cannot figure out what statuses might have been used to create the Backlog column, at least using the default Jira statuses.

My use case is that I have a bunch of cases with Open status and I would like to keep them in a separate column as I prioritize them by moving them to ToDo. That way, I always have a list of the cases that I have not yet examined carefully enough.

Can anyone out there suggest how this board might have been created?

Thanks,

-H.

2 answers

0 votes
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2012

Hello,

The column name is just that, a name. In the example you cite we have a column called 'Backlog' that includes the statuses 'Open' and 'Reopened'. So, a column can incorporate a number of statuses.

The use case you describe is similar to our Build Engineering team which has two columns *before* their To Do column. Their board looks like: Untriaged, Triaged, To Do, In Progress, Blocked, Done.

They use the GreenHopper Simplified Workflow for managing the columns and statuses for their project.

Thanks,
Nicholas Muldoon
@GreenHopperTeam

Hop Frog November 6, 2012

Nicholas,

Thanks much for your response. But with regard to the board illustrated, if the Backlog contains statuses 'Open' and 'Reopened', what does the ToDo column contain?

With regard to your Build Engineering team's board, What does each of the columns you mention contain? As far as I can see, the Greenhopper simplifed workflow offers fewer statuses than the default, so there is less flexibility; yet there are more columns.

I realize that columns can be differentiated based on resolution as well as status; but even so (or especially so!) I would like to know, based on status and resolution, what the various columns in these boards include.

What I'm really after is some insight into how I can create a board like the one illustrated. I know, mechanically, how to create and configure boards and have read the documentation. I understand that columns can include, as I said, unions of statuses and resolutions. But on the semantic level, I can't figure out what to configure to get a board like the one illustrated. How is ToDo configured, and how does an issue currently in Backlog get listed in ToDo?

Thanks,
-P.

Hop Frog November 11, 2012

Nicholas, I'd appreciate a response to my comment on Nov 06, especially since Atlassian is sending me junk mail asking me to either close out the case or add a comment. ;-)

0 votes
Hop Frog November 5, 2012

I actually think this might be a scrum board, and the Backlog is the cases not included in the current sprint. I don't use sprints, so I wasn't familiar with this format.

Still, it would be good if someone in the know can confirm....

Thanks,

-H.

Suggest an answer