How do I sort issues on a board via drag & drop?

Todd_Menier August 2, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Working with boards

I can't seem to sort (vertically) issues on the board via drag & drop. I've read that I need "Schedule Issues" permission and I've confirmed I have that. Any other ideas?

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2016

Yes, you are correct. You cannot rank issues on the new boards. They are ordered by created date. From that page – 

• Items are listed in the order of newest to oldest by creation date.

It's worth noting that these boards are VERY NEW and are being developed for JIRA Core from the ground up. It would appear that the JIRA Core boards do not share any codebase with the RapidBoards we know from JIRA Software.

Further – JIRA Core does NOT at all include the lexorank Rank fields, indexing, and modules that JIRA Software uses to achieve global ranking. I would make sure that Atlassian has your feature request open and that you comment why you need this on their system – They do read all the comments that come in through JAC.

Todd_Menier August 5, 2016

That clears it up, thanks! It's maybe that I'm a noob at creating projects, but at the time I picked a template that seemed to meet my needs, it wasn't clear by any stretch that I was choosing a "labs" feature with a completely different implementation than the boards I'm used to. Oh well, like you say it's very new and will probably take a little time to iron things out. Thanks again.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2016

No it's all fine – I try to keep up to date with all the new features so I just happened to know. I wonder if there's a feature request for that yet.

0 votes
Todd_Menier August 11, 2016

Well well, just days after I submit a suggestion....

2016-08-11_1017.png

Either they are incredibly responsive or they had it on the roadmap all along. I suspect the later. Either way, color me impressed. smile

0 votes
Todd_Menier August 2, 2016

Thanks for responding. There is no error and no filter/query. It simply won't allow me to rearrange issues by draging/dropping up and down the board. Note that this is a JIRA "Board" (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/working-with-boards-800712866.html), described as a "Labs" feature, but it sure looks like the Kanban I use in other projects where I can move issues vertically.

Is it possible this simply isn't supported in "Boards"? I don't really get why it's a different thing than Kanban boards in other projects I use, but admittedly this is the first time I've created a project.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2016

Can you tell us what the issue is or what error you receive when you try to? Can you also post your filter-query here?

Suggest an answer