How do I grant permissions to create, start or complete sprints without granting user management rights?

John Macleod October 30, 2012

For client data protection reasons, only 4 resources on our project are allowed user management rights. There are other users who run scrum teams and need to be able to set up sprints on the Agile Boards. It appears that you can only grant permissions to create, start and complete sprints by assigning the Administer Project role - which also includes permission to assign administrator rights to others.

Am I missing something?

Is there a way to control sprint management permissions distinct from other permissions?

If not, is there a plan to do so in future?

1 answer

0 votes
OmarA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2012

Hi John,

Indeed you are right. Without the Administer Project the user won't be able to start, create.. Etc. sprints. The reason behind it, in the normal world of Agile, namely the project lead the one starts, plans the sprints, so without this permission, that wouldn't make sense for any user to start or plan because is not confirming the real world scenario.

Cheers,

Omar

John Macleod November 11, 2012

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm not sure I agree that there is a "normal world of Agile". Across the projects I've worked, each client and project team has implemented a slightly different flavour adhering in varying degrees to the Agile principles and with different organisation structures that reflect the work they have to do or the landscape they're operating in.

I can understand why this simplification has been made, but are there any plans to split Administer Sprint from Administer Project?

Suggest an answer