How can I filter the project view to show only a subset?

Tim Arthur December 4, 2013

We have hundreds of projects in JIRA and the list of projects is overwhelming, even though we're using category as effectively as possible. Isn't there a way for a user to set up their own filter to view a subset of projects (perhaps by filtering on project category or project name or something in the set of underlying issues)? Thanks from Tim in Cary NC

2 answers

0 votes
Tim Arthur December 22, 2013

PROJECT VIEWING: This is now an open feature: https://jira.atlassian.com/i#browse/JRA-36279

Please help me vote it up.

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2013

Hi Tim

Two things you can do -

1. Archive/Hide old projects: You assign very old projects which you think will not be used much by assigning it to a permission scheme with no permissions on it (except jira administrators). By this you will be removing that project from coming up in the project list.

2. Xml backup: Take xml backup of the instance, and delete the old projects. You can restore them later if you want.

3. Restrict visibility of projects: I am sure the hundreds of projects are not useful for all of your users. So may be a good idea to limit the visibility of projects from users by controlling it through the browse project permission. Anyone who needs to view a project get the browse project permission (either through a group or through project level configurations i.e. project roles)

Rahul

Tim Arthur December 4, 2013

Thank you Rahul. Just for note, these "hundreds" I am referring to is what we anticipate having as active. We'll need to eventually move older projects to an archive as you suggest.

I still have the issue though of certain users needing to see "all projects", and desiring to subset that view various ways based on their needs. Those in leadership come to mind as a use-case.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2013

Hi Tim, cant think of anything, lets wait for other to join the discussion.

Tim Arthur December 10, 2013

Any other feedback? If not, I guess I'll need to open an enhancement request to Atlassian.....

Suggest an answer