Dynamic values in a form.

S. Ravi Venkatramana April 13, 2014

Hi,

I tried to search through the forum on this, but could not find any solution.

My user requirement is :

In the first stage of the workflow, the user puts in milestones for the project.

Eg: Milestone 1...Milestone n. (Here the number of milestones are not static)

In the next stage the user need to check in whether particular milestone has completed or not.

So the next user should get a screen something like

Milestone 1 Yes/No(This could probably a radio button.)

Milestone 2 Yes/No

Milestone n Yes/No

Kindly suggest how to achieve this in JIRA.

Also any other alternative which would help me in achieving the same would be helpful.

Thank you.

1 answer

1 vote
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2014

You can define milestones as subtasks and once a milestone is complete, the corresponding sub-task should be closed. This assumes that the project is logically represented by an issue.

You will need a separate issue type and workflow for the issues of type project and a separate "Sub-Task" issue type and workflow for milestones. This will also allow to mark a project release as complete (if you're trying to achieve some kind of release management) when all the "Milestone" sub tasks are complete.

The sub-task workflow will have two steps - No and Yes and initially the status will be No and the only transition will be from No to Yes.

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2014

Does this solves your problem or you need some more information ?

Thank you very much for such a quick response Boris.

Yes, will create a subtask and allow the user to close it. It would also separate the milestones from the actual project and allows us to handle them in a different workflow altogether.

Hi Boris,

This temporarily solves my problem. I am considering this as an alternative to what I wanted to achieve.

I am actually developing an investment initation template. Where a manager can initiate investment in JIRA which passes through different phases of the workflow. Ultimately there comes a point where a split of the investment details are listed down for initiator to update, which I call phase1, phase2, etc.

Now the initiator have to update whether each of the phase is completed or not and how much percent is completed.

If I am creating sub task for each phase, the initiator have to go to each subtask and close it separately. The number of sub tasks might grow from 5 to 25, which is a tedius task to do.

Eg. If the same thing when we want to achieve in excel, we might add columns as follows.

I would like to achieve the same in JIRA. Is it possible?

<colgroup><col width="282"><col width="21"><col width="57"><col width="139"><col width="127"></colgroup>
Phase Details % Amount Updated by Manager Updated by Officer
Phase 1:-Advance(on Submission of Invoice 20 640000 25.03.2014 Not Done
B) Phase 1A:- Configuration Sign-Off 10 320000 25.03.2014 Done
C) Phase 1B:- Configuration Sign-Off 30 960000 25.03.2014 Not Done
D) Phase 1A:- PM & GM GO-Live 10 320000 25.03.2014 Not Done
E) Phase 1B:- EC GO-Live 30 960000 25.03.2014 Not Done
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2014

So you can achieve it through sub-tasks to some extend by modifying the columns displayes in the subtasks table for an issue and the user will be able to modify all subtasks from one page by editing them from the parent issue page.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Sub-tasks#ConfiguringSub-tasks-Configuringsub-taskfieldsdisplayedonparentissues

http://www.barneyb.com/barneyblog/2011/09/15/jira-subtask-manager/

Other solution is to use a commercial plugin like the one below which allows adding a custom field which is a table (excel like)

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.idalko.jira.plugins.igrid

Hi Boris,

We are not considering any investment for this requirement though.

Will look into the subtasks solution you provided.

Thank you

Suggest an answer